270 WSM 150 gr VLD

tbrice23

My Savage 16fcss will be here Thursday and will only have a few days for load development before my last hunting trip to TN for the season.
It is a 1:10 twist and I plan on shooting 150gr vld, but also have 140vld, 130 classic hybrids, 150 NBT. But because of limited time for load development I'll ony have time to devote to one bullet and one or two powders.
So, I will pick the 150gr VLD and either;
Retumbo, RL26, H1000, 7828ssc, RL22, RL23 and either GM215M or CCI250s for primers. These are Winchester cases.
It only a 24" barrel so I'm not sure I'll have enough barrel to make full use of Retumbo for this application.

Any input is appreciated. (Bigngeen)!

Yeah, unfortunately the search feature on this site kinda sucks. It won't include 3-letter words or 3-digit numbers. So if you search for "270 WSM 150" you'll get no results. I often go to Yahoo.com and do a site search: "270 WSM 150 site:longrangehunting.com" will give you a whole pile of results :D

I've had pretty good luck with the Retumbo using 150 grain bullets, both the 150 Nosler BTs and 150 Accubond Long Range. It fills the case quite a bit though so plan on compressed loads. 67-68 grains seems to be the sweet spot for my rifle, which is good because 69 grains becomes highly compressed. I was seeing pressure signs at 68.0 grains with regular jacketed bullets, but the coated Ballistic Silvertips and my own HBN coated bullets don't show any pressure signs with that load. With weight sorted brass and plenty of cooling between shots I'm getting 1/3 MOA most of the time.

I would be tempted to try H1000 if had the same powder choices that you have available. I have gotten very good results using the new powder IMR-7977 with 150 VLD's and from all I have read it is very close to H1000.

I would be tempted to try H1000 if had the same powder choices that you have available. I have gotten very good results using the new powder IMR-7977 with 150 VLD's and from all I have read it is very close to H1000.
Thinking about working up to 70 gr, we'll see.
By the way I'll be shooting 600 yard match at MSSA in your neck of the woods in January.

Retumbo lit by a fed 215 has treated me good, you can use the hogdgon load data which seems to be a good starting point, I used 68 grains with the 150 but start low and work up.

Retumbo lit by a fed 215 has treated me good, you can use the hogdgon load data which seems to be a good starting point, I used 68 grains with the 150 but start low and work up.

Thanks bud, I knew that you would come through.
I just loaded up to 68 gr H1000.
My rifle arrived early and boy do those 150s use some case space. 68 gr of H1000 was about 105% on unfired brass.
Tomorrow it'll be Retumbo.

I've used 7828 and 150VLD with good results in a 24" barrel with ES about 18. Accuracy is @ 3/4 MOA. Tried Retumbo and WOW 1/2 MOA consistently. Some days better.
The usual case prep and bullet seating routine. Shoulder bump .002 seated .010 OL. neck tension .002

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.