270 Win For Long Range Shooting

downright dave,

landcbeitner got it right as well as most of the guys on the forum. overbore cartridges that perform marginally at long range 1000-2000 yards can be given new life with much heavier slugs. this provides longer barrel life and much higher BC. the smaller slugs go like H... for 600 + yards then fall like a rock. by 800-1200 yards the higher BC bullets take over. they also buck wind better, the archnemesis of LRH and shooters. this is why we are so interested in the "new" developements of the larger slugs in 270. glad to have you in the game. good luck and God bless.

doc

oh, by the way, if winchester had read po ackley they wouldnt have made the 270 WSM. it is way overbore, gets marginally better speed and burns barrels like he said it would. however, with the new 175 matrix and around 3000 FPS. that is worth looking into. might be that winchester could save the cartridge if they put such a slug in their lineup, otherwise if fear it will go the way of the 264 win.

doc

Hi Pistol Packer et al,

I will locate and read Po Ackley.

I like a man who is willing to think and then go outside the box when it is a resultant necessity created by that thinking.

To all of you, I want to state, "My overriding interest is gun design, the Long Range Capabilities are a new and fascinating possibility, now that I know of their
existence.

Keep the tutorials coming,

Thank You,
"Downright Dave

hmmmm interesting....

anyway...

back on topic

Got started on a load, 56.5 grains of 4831sc, BR-2 Primers yeilding ~2850 fps.

got a 5/8" group @ 100 yards

I need to back off to 200 yards, vary the charge weight +- 0.2 grains and see what happens.

so far it's looking good!!!

yes,

i forgot why i posted. thank you Lucas !!! great article, filled a niche i have wondered about for years. really anxious to see what 270 MKL et al does.

thanks again.

doc

Hi Feenix,

Then my question becomes; What does MKV mean?

I like your quotes, even though, as I mentioned, mine are different.

I did my radio show* today entitled, "When and Where We Lost Our Democracy"

The show consisted of a somewhat in- depth analysis of Shay's Rebellion and it's direct connection to, and illustration of, the intent of the framers of the Second Amendment.

Since I feel it's off topic for this forum, and I haven't got my website:

Littleredhenenterprises,com

quite up yet, I'll send you a two page treatise I wrote entitled, "My Attempt To Answer the Question,' How did we elect such a bunch of self-centered idiots that care neither for their country, nor for their Military'?", if you would like. The question was posted by someone in another forum who posted "Justice with Judge Jeanie's on-air lambasting of Obama, Panetta, et al's handling of the fiasco in Bengazhi (A place I visited in 1974 en-route overland to Cairo. They were having trouble with Egypt in El Almein and I was forced to fly from Benghazi to Cairo).

* "It's Your Show", A Call-in Talk Show Meant To Provoke, Hosted By, "Downright" Dave at Berkeley Liberation Radio 104.1 and live streamed Thursdays, Noon- 2:00 PM PST at http://radio.indybay.org/blr.mp3,m3u

Thank You,
Downright Dave

Hi Feenix,

After reading the Rules, I see my last post was forbidden, as it was political.

I apologize to you Feenix and to the Members.

I would delete it if I knew how.

Thank You,
Downright Dave

Hi Feenix,

After reading the Rules, I see my last post was forbidden, as it was political.

I apologize to you Feenix and to the Members.

I would delete it if I knew how.

Thank You,
Downright Dave

No problem, that's why, I did not respond specifically to that issue, however, please don't take no offense but you might want to post your own thread unless it pertains to this topic.

Thanks!

P.S.

Len Backus, Admin, or SS7MM should be able to delete your post for you.

"...they start out slower than more conventional projectiles but more than make up the difference later. "__________________

And THAT"S what I find so fascinating about the realities of long range hunting and shooting.

Hi Schwabdog,

Would you be so kind as to educate me on your statement, "I personally wouldn't like a Savage ACCu trigger for LR shooting Just me."

Please go into detail, if you would.
________

Thanks,
Downright Dave

FWIW: It's Hear, not Here

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.