270 Win For Long Range Shooting

Excellent article! The .277 Matrix bullets and the upcoming Berger addition shows lots of potentials.

I'm currently in parts acquisition for a .270 AI build and will be taking advantage of the 175gr.

Did you finish the AI build? I have one and i wonder what your loads look like with the 165s

love your article, i am currently build a custom 270win now on a rem 700 action. What mag. are you using on the AI stock or did you covert the mags to feed for 300win to 270 win?

Sorry, for the slow response, glad you enjoyed the article. I use the 300 win magazines and bend the lips in so they feed the 270 and other 30-06 cases reliably. It's not difficult at all, just test often as you're modifying.

I recently purchased a 300 win mag barrel for a tc encore. its 28 inches and has a twist rate of 1:10. can i shoot heavy 200gr+ bullets accurately or do i need a barrel with 1:8 or so?

WOW, loved the article!!!

I picked up my 270 when stationed in Bremerton. it was at Wally World...seems they had a Weatherby MKV on the shelf...nine lug mag action to boot...all chambered in 270 WIN.

bought it on the spot. That was 1995.

It is a very good shooter...runs 130 gr nosler BTs well, shoots under 1 inch @ 100...but as it's a sporter, the group grows after about 9 shots.

Cold Bore shots are right on at 200.

But I have always wondered how well it would work at 500-650 yards...finally found a place to run that far. low and behold, it can punch paper at that distance...but with the 130s, not much snort left.

I read this article, and I was hooked...a 270 Win with 165 gr VLD...and good terminal performance past 500 yards??? WOO HOO!!!

Also wanted to condence the ammunition supply...I have a 6.8 SPC also..cant shoot the longer bullets (wont fit in the mag) but, a 115 GR would make a decent varmit bullet for a 270WIN....Been running a OA243WSSM to 500 on paper for a bit..so going to sell that rig to fund the 270 build.

Hmmm a plan was forming...use the 6.8SPC for everything under 200 yards...and use the 270 Win for everything from 150 yards to....??? (going to slap a Nightforce 3.5-14x50 F1 on it)

Ran the ballistics of a 165 Gr, 0.65 BC Bullet @ 2850 FPS...and I was very suprised at what came out...could easily punch paper at 1300...

The project was set...

Sent her off to Benchmark...(it's up there right now) for a refit with a 27" 1-9 twist varmit contour barrel with brake.

Hope to get it back in time for Deer season...

cant wait!!!

Hey Lucas, I could not believe my eyes to see you set your 7mm WSM aside for ol' Grandpa Jack's legendary 270. Welcome to the dark side! Still shooting my Benchmark 300 Rummy and lovin it. But whenever I'm out working the hills (going vertical) most of the time I'm doing it with my Tikka T3 in 270 Win. Lost count of the number of deer that have fallen to 1 of the 2 270's I have owned over the years. I treat my 22" bbl'd T3 as a 500 yd max rifle shooting 130gr Sierra Gamekings. Only getting 2940 fps with my load, but it shoots bug hole groups. My Rummy is for spot and shoot LR setups. I have been pleasantly surprised with the SS benchmark bbl, no copper build up. Same with my SS T-3 bbl. I am thinking about a lighter weight "sheep gun" that is good out to 800 yds (or so). Thinking about a 26" 270 WSM on a Stiller Preditor. Glad to hear about the new VLD offerings in .277".
Nice job on the article.

Negative! Expecting to get it from my smith any day now ... will be fireforming brass first before refining AI loads. Will keep you guys posted on any progress.

Thanks!

I ordered some 165's for my 270 AI. My first loading with rl-19 only drove them 2750.

When I emailed Matrix about loading data for the 165s he replied that he is using 56.5gr of h4831 in a 6.8x284. and achieving 2900 fps.

So Ill go to h4831, this powder has always produced for me in the 270, I don't know why I didn't start there!

Are you up and running yet?

Hey Lucas, I could not believe my eyes to see you set your 7mm WSM aside for ol' Grandpa Jack's legendary 270. Welcome to the dark side! Still shooting my Benchmark 300 Rummy and lovin it. But whenever I'm out working the hills (going vertical) most of the time I'm doing it with my Tikka T3 in 270 Win. Lost count of the number of deer that have fallen to 1 of the 2 270's I have owned over the years. I treat my 22" bbl'd T3 as a 500 yd max rifle shooting 130gr Sierra Gamekings. Only getting 2940 fps with my load, but it shoots bug hole groups. My Rummy is for spot and shoot LR setups. I have been pleasantly surprised with the SS benchmark bbl, no copper build up. Same with my SS T-3 bbl. I am thinking about a lighter weight "sheep gun" that is good out to 800 yds (or so). Thinking about a 26" 270 WSM on a Stiller Preditor. Glad to hear about the new VLD offerings in .277".
Nice job on the article.

Thanks Don! The ol' 270 has only gotten better with these new bullets available. I think many of the old cartridges have advanced quite a bit with the new slower burning powders that are now available. It's taken away from the new trendy "efficient" cartridges just a touch.

Keep up the good work with those rifles... sounds like you've got a hammer for almost every nail! One of my buddies built a 270wsm recently...pretty solid.

Don't worry though... I'm back with a 7wsm this year... there may be another article with it... :D

Off off the 270 topic but your comment caught my eye...

I have been interested in hunting in Texas for some time because I have relatives there and I hear a lot about hunting from folks down there.
but I have spent a fair amount of time combing the web, and talking to friends / family members in Texas, and despite all the raging stories of Texas hunting glories, I always arrive at the conclusion you have stated above. You need to have Texas oil money (or land) to hunt in Texas. All this bruhaha about too many hogs, and lots of deer in Texas, but they're all on private land! And a lot of it is fenced. And leases...is everyone in Tx who hunts rich? How does a "regular guy" ever get to hunt down there? What happened to the "home of the free"? Is it only free if you already paid??

We have plenty of hunting clubs and ranches out here in Calif, but there are also millions of acres of public land on which it is legal to hunt. There you can find lots of deer, but few wild pigs. (< 6% of those harvested and reported) Unfortunately, the hogs seem to like to stay on private land where they're well fed. The farmers supposedly don't like it, and neither do the public land hunters!

And yes, I would shoot a deer at 500 yards with a 270 under the right conditions. I'm about to buy another one...most likely the Vanguard S2.
theres some public hunting land around that you hear nothing about, we texans are kinda tightlipped! you just have to ask!

I ordered some 165's for my 270 AI. My first loading with rl-19 only drove them 2750.

When I emailed Matrix about loading data for the 165s he replied that he is using 56.5gr of h4831 in a 6.8x284. and achieving 2900 fps.

So Ill go to h4831, this powder has always produced for me in the 270, I don't know why I didn't start there!

Are you up and running yet?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I'm still fireforming brass to .270 AI (can't seem to find time :cool:), I wasn't looking for any accuracy but had the following results (3-shot groups):

Win Brass, CCI BR-2,

165gr Matrix VLD (COAL = 2.674")

1) 58.5gr H1000, Vx = 2821 FPS, SD = 20 FPS
2) 58.5gr H4831SC, Vx = 2981 FPS, SD = 17 FPS

175gr Matrix VLD (COAL = 2.684")

1) 57.5gr H1000, Vx = 2801 FPS, SD = 5 FPS
2) 57.5gr H4831SC, Vx = 2919 FPS, SD = 16 FPS (pix below)

2012-09-29175MatrixVLD5754831SCc.jpg

Shows some promise, no pressure signs yet.

Ed
[/FONT]

I normally hunt deer/antelope with my 257 Roberts but this year I wanted to try out some future 270 Elk loads using Hornady 150 IBs.

Couldn't get close so I violated my self imposed rule of not shooting critters past 300 yards.

I mil'ed it and came up with 600 yards, measured with my GPS after the shot and came up with 578 yards.

Couldn't really tell what the bullet did, as it only hit the top of the lungs going through both rib cages. Turned the lungs into what looked like old coffee grounds.

In my M-70 Featherweight the Interbonds shoot the same velocity/same place as the 150 Hornady SSTs do I can use them for cheaper practice.

But I agree, the 270 Win is an excellent long range round. My barrel is a 1:10 so I probably wont go heavier then 150s.

Antelope%202%20%20%2010-1.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.