270 trajectory

deadend

hello all, I've been eves dropping and learning for years but this is my first post.My question is should I expect any flatter shooting from a 110 gr bullet than im getting from a 130 gr bullet? The 130 gr bullet drops 2" at 200 yds, 13" at 300 and 27" at 400. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Go to the Rifles, Bullets, Barrels, and Ballistics section. At the top is a "sticky" thread titled, Ballistic Programs Web based and Downloadable. They are free.

I like the one with eskimo in the name.

You can use this to answer your question, and better yet all future similar questions.

Don't forget to look at wind drift numbers. Drop is consistent and predictable. Windage boils down to your best guess. I would choose a bullet with less drift and more drop over one with more drift and less drop.

Good luck.

Your question is relative. Lighter, faster bullets will be flatter at shorter distances, but they usually have lower BC's and start to loose velocity quickly down range. Trajectory is based on velocity and BC and down range velocity is based on BC.

So the question is are you talking trajectory out to 300 or 400 or 500 yds, etc? And what is the velocity and BC of your bullet?

Like Grit said, you should crunch the numbers in a ballistics calc to get your answer. Here's an easy one to use...

External Ballistics Calculator

From my experience the maximum effective distance that I could shoot and hit chucks with the 90gr Sierra going 3400 FPS was 420 yards. This was with a Leupold VX-II 3-9.

I was never, and I mean never able to bag anything beyond 420 yards. It seemed as though an itty bitty parachute opened about then and I could never range accurately enough to make a hit beyond 420.

However, with the 130 Sierra Boat Tail and 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips hits on mule deer at known ranges (LRF) were good towards the 700yd mark. The 130s & 140s run nearly 3200 fps.

Another way to say it is that the light bullet will be flatter over a short distance, maybe 200-300 yds but after that the longer higher BC bullet takes over.

As Roy and montana said, generally speaking light short bullets will give better trajectory over short to mid range. Anyone shooting mid to long range is using one of the longest heaviest bullets with the highest BC possible. It is kinda like comparing a 22-250 and 50 gr to a 270. The 250 will shoot super flat for about 250-300 yards then it takes a nose dive. The 270 doesn't shoot quite as flat out to 300, but it still shoots a slight arch at 550.

When you start shooting longer ranges you'll find that trajectory is the easy factor with lazer range finders or other range estimations... its the wind deflection that is real hard to estimate. Higher BC bullets will be less effected by wind at longer ranges. That means that you will hit closer to your point of aim with a slight misjudgment in wind speed. That's the real factor.

Great info Sir, I think I might be getting it Thank you very much. Now you made me think of another question. Is not 400yds long range. i have killed ground hogs out to 357yds and .i shot a crow at 286. I also have a 22 win mag and I have shot many many squirrels out to 65 yds all head shots. You said when i start shooting long range. What is considered long range. All the formentioned shots were under hunting conditions. Not off hand of course I do use home made shooting sticks.Hope i have not opened a can of worms. Again, thank you very much.

quote=deadend;287910]Great info Sir, I think I might be getting it Thank you very much. Now you made me think of another question. Is not 400yds long range. i have killed ground hogs out to 357yds and .i shot a crow at 286. I also have a 22 win mag and I have shot many many squirrels out to 65 yds all head shots. You said when i start shooting long range. What is considered long range. All the formentioned shots were under hunting conditions. Not off hand of course I do use home made shooting sticks.Hope i have not opened a can of worms. Again, thank you very much.[/quote]

Your question should be conversation starter......Long Range is different things for different people and different conditions.

Just my thinkin' here. Change cartridges, game, new neck of the woods, etc. it all changes, at least for me.

270 Win
Generally 0-300 yds short range
300-500 moderate range with my 270 Win
500-800 long range w/270Win (due to traj and energy.
This is post LRF, anti cant device and much better scope.

270 Allen Mag
0-300 yds short range - that's the longest distance on the local range
300 - 800 moderate range
800 - 1200 long range
Greater than 1200 - Out Of Range.

Great info Sir, I think I might be getting it Thank you very much. Now you made me think of another question. Is not 400yds long range. i have killed ground hogs out to 357yds and .i shot a crow at 286. I also have a 22 win mag and I have shot many many squirrels out to 65 yds all head shots. You said when i start shooting long range. What is considered long range. All the formentioned shots were under hunting conditions. Not off hand of course I do use home made shooting sticks.Hope i have not opened a can of worms. Again, thank you very much.

Head shots on squirrels @ 65 yds is pretty good shootin :)

Like Roy said, LR is different to different folks, but I would have to agree with his general assessment of the 270 Win.

I'm new to this game and my personal longest shot was a paced off 425 yds on an antelope with a sporter 7mmRM. It was sighted in about 2 1/2 inches high @100 yds and shooting a 120 gr Sierra at about 3400 fps. I was guesstimating the range at 450 and I guesstimated the wind to be about 15 mph almost direct cross. I held just above the tip of his nose and the bullet struck the base of the back of the neck. I was hoping for a boiler room hit, but it worked.

In a 270 Win, zeroed @ 200 yds, your bullet will drop 6 inches at 300, 19 inches at 400 and 39 inches at 500. the point being, once you get out past 300 or 400 yds, judging distance becomes critical. A 50 yd miscalculation will likely result in a miss and even a 25 yd miscalculation could result in a miss. So 3 things you need for LR hunting are, an accurate rifle, an accurate range finder and a good quality scope that has the type of reticle to make accurate holdovers or reliable and repeatable turrets for dialing your windage and ellevation.

One other thing to consider is bullet terminal performance. You want your bullet to have enough velocity to expand on impact and enough momentum to penetrate vitals and hopefully exit. This is how I determine the maximum ballistic range of my cartridge. Me and the rifle are the other part of the equation.

Good shooting and hunting,

-MR

Roy just a question why are you saying out of range with the 270AM past 1200?

1) Lack of practice at that distance
2) Lack of confidence in my wind reading abilities
3) Limited to using 140/150 class bullets. When the 170gr Wildcats become available again the whole deal changes. Even with them I would be very careful of the shot being taken at beyond 1100-1200 on an elk. Deer no problem.

The 1200 limit is for large game.
I have smashed some trophy rocks at 1400 plus but they don't have hair, antlers. or other things that get the ol' heart rate up. Plus you know they are going to stay there.:rolleyes:

Roy, You were right Sir, it was a conversation starter but im not sorry. I am enjoying it and learning much. Thank you Sir for all the help and much thanks to Montana and Britz for all the helpful info. Hope i can return the favor some day.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.