270 Allen Mag

Randy338

Can a Remington sendero in 300RUM be rebarreled into a 270 Allen Mag and feed properly? Or is ther some problems here...Also does the 270 AM need to be fireformed or can you load and shoot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Can a Remington sendero in 300RUM be rebarreled into a 270 Allen Mag and feed properly? Or is ther some problems here...Also does the 270 AM need to be fireformed or can you load and shoot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1) It may be rebarreled to 270AM w/o feeding problems if done properly.

2) 270AM cases are made from 7MM or 300 RUM cases. To do so the necks need to be size to 270 except for about the width of a dime or less at the base of the shoulder.

You may then fire form with loaded rounds and real bullets or use the cornmeal/cream of wheat method.

Fire firming is pretty easy and straight forward.

Mike/TX and Tim/TX use one method of fire forming I use the other (corn meal).

BTW, I had mine made in single shot so as to not be concerned with mag length w/the longer Wildcat bullets.

Mike and Tim and most others have mags in theirs.

HTH

I had mentioned in the post to mr. big that I am a clutz with the corn meal deal. I actually tried, but it was a dismal failure and I decided that shooting the actual bullet was just WAY more fun.

When I broke in my barrel, I only had a limited supply of the 169.5's, and didn't want to waist them. I used some 140gr bulk bullets that worked well for that. At the time I also had a half a box of the Nosler 150gr Solid bases, and tried a few of them as well. Once the barrel was broke in and I started load development with the 169's, I found the seating depth that the rifle liked. I set some of the 150's up to that and they shot under 2" at 500yds. Figured that I might as well keep that load just in case I needed some carry over rounds while waiting on delivery of more bullets.

All in all it has worked out well for me so far. Tim already had his 169.5's when his rifle arrived and he simply used them for forming as did Bill and Lerch.

On the feeding issue, the Wildcats I have shot seemed to like to be within .020" of the lands or closer. With this their OAL is a bit long for the standard magazine. You could go with the Wyatts box or try for a deeper loading depth. I figured out real quick though, with these rifles, and the Wildcat bullets, generally when you do your part, there is no need for a follow up shot and if so you have time to lay the next into the chamber. I am using the BR follower in mine and have not had the need to try to get them to fit in the magazine. They might work but couldn't tell ya with mine.

MARRIED MAN,

Are you getting the feeling you gotta have one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PM me an address and Ill send you a dummy round that our TX buddy sent me.

[ QUOTE ]
MARRIED MAN,

Are you getting the feeling you gotta have one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PM me an address and Ill send you a dummy round that our TX buddy sent me.

[/ QUOTE ]

WhatRya gonna put under your pillow if you send that one away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) It may be rebarreled to 270AM w/o feeding problems if done properly.

2) 270AM cases are made from 7MM or 300 RUM cases. To do so the necks need to be size to 270 except for about the width of a dime or less at the base of the shoulder.

You may then fire form with loaded rounds and real bullets or use the cornmeal/cream of wheat method.

Fire firming is pretty easy and straight forward.

Mike/TX and Tim/TX use one method of fire forming I use the other (corn meal).

BTW, I had mine made in single shot so as to not be concerned with mag length w/the longer Wildcat bullets.

Mike and Tim and most others have mags in theirs.

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Why stop short of resizing the whole neck??? What is your COL with the 169.5 and 195 Wildcats??? Do you know what you have for a throat in your rifle??

The ridge left on the neck, next to the shoulder (a little less than the thickness of a dime) is to hold the case firmly to length (head space) and prevent stretching of the body.

COL of both the 169 and 195 is 3.045" base to ogive using a Sinclair thinger that looks like a hex nut with various caliber holes drilled in it. Which ends up being 3.62 base to tip.

This puts things about 20 thou off the lands.

If I remember correctly Kirby was having problems with reamers at the time mine was made and my throat is a bit tight. Not the neck but, the throat. It seems to make no difference to anything. I also think its throated for the 169. It meets my specks for accuracy and velocity with both bullets. Well, actually it out shoots me.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.