Chuckin witht he 270 Allen Mag....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Was a nice morning so I decided to head back out to the chuck hill to see if I could catch a fat boy sunning on the rocks.

Took the 270 AM and the Kahn and set up in my usual favorite spot. Eariler in the week I had landed a big 169.5 gr WIldcat on a chuck at 1098 yards but unfortunatly he made it to his den, basically fell into and down his den after the hit.

On the den where I hit that chuck there was zero activity which kind of suprised me as there had been four young chucks running all over hell that day but nothing today.

I decided to test the drop of the rifle so I found a chuck sized rock at 1080 yards and figured the hold and took three shots at it. The first one landed just above the rock, maybe 2" high of the roughly foot long by 1/2 foot tall rock. Plenty close. The second shot landed solidly on the left half of the rock, actually breaking off a large part. Shot three landed just high over the left section of the rock. About a 5" groups!!! I was very pleased and began dreaming of a big whitetail at that range being pretty easy pickin's with an accurate range measurement.

I started glassing different areas of the rocky hills and came across a HUGE chuck sitting on a very small rock out in the middle of a grassy hill side. Looked pretty strange to be honest, the rock was around 6" square and this chuck looked huge sitting on top of it. We have taken several chucks in the 12-14 lb range and one just over 16 lbs and this chuck looked as large as any we had every seen on the hill.

Luckily he was in the open part of the grassy hill and I got several reading from 1250 to 1258. I averaged them out and shot for around 1255 yards.

I leveled the Extreme Sporter and made the adjustments for the longer range and settled into the rifle. At this range, 14x is extremely minimum but as the chuck was huge and sitting in the middle of an open patch of short grass, his big black body made a great target.

The wind, roughly 5 mph was directly at my back so I held dead on and let a 169.5 gr Wildcat fly.

The big ULD landed dead center on the rock the chuck was sitting on and that big chuck jumped a full 3 feet straight in the air. The hit was only inches under the chuck and the big boy wasted no time getting up into the rocks and the shadows and I simply could not pick him out of the rocks with the Weaver scope at what was now +1300 yards.

I was very happy with the near miss, again any critter larger then a coyote would have been hit hard in the vitals.

I scanned the slides for about 10 minutes and found another chuck hunkered up on a large flat rock. The area the chuck was in was not offering an accurate range measurement but knowing the area very well and having a spot in front of the chuck(1088 yards) and behind the chuck(1129 yards) that I could get readings on I figured him to be in the 1114 to 1115 range give or take a yard or so.

This was also a large chuck, not as large as the one I had just shot at but still a +10 lb chuck.

The way the chuck was positioned on the rock made him a relatively small target for his size but any hit would produce serious damage and probably an instant kill.

I went though my set up routine and settled in on the chuck. I recovered from recoil just in time to see the big bullet land dead center and he simply slumped over the rock and rolled 30 yards down the steep hill.

I watched as he came to rest and he was moving slighly trying to get back up the hill but he could not move. Within a couple seconds all movement stopped and he was dead!

I though about tuning in the Kahn but then decided I wanted pictures of my longest personal one shot kill so I packed up and drove up to the hill and was happy to find the big chuck where I had last seen him from my shooting location.

298152.jpg

This 270 AM in the Extreme Sporters with the 169.5 gr ULD is simply awsome in the field. I often forget to realize that I am shooting a sporter right that weights 10 lbs ready to hunt. I have been totally impressed with this system every time I have pushed its limits.

As of yet, I have not found the rifles limits where consistancy drops off. With this big game hunting rifle, the main limits are the 4.5-14 scope and getting accurate range measurement.

Bullet performance was also impressive on this chuck as it was on that first chuck showing results of high retained velocity and energy and good expansion even at this range.

Had I hit this chuck at this range with my fast twist 6mm-284 I would have lost him as I have seen this time and time again. Just not enough frontal area and energy to open the small caliber bullets up to inflict severe tissue damage, at least not with the 107 gr SMK.

Not the case with the 270 AM though and the 169.5 gr ULD. Unless they fall in their den they are dead from any real solid hit.

Have a good fathers day!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Nice bear but where's the Rockchuck??

Good shooting and good read. Maybe someday I'll get one of those AM wildcats.

Take care.

Man, those things are huge!! One of these days I'm going to have to head out west for a chuck shoot.

Great shooting, too. Can't wait to try my 270 AM out on some 1000 yd prairie dogs.

Kirby:

Great shooting, and like Dave said,"good read". Almost like being there. Each one gets a little farther out each time. It's only a matter of time, because I know both you and the 270 AM are up to the task. Now you just have to get the chucks to co-operate.

Kirby,

To bad mine won't be done for this chuck season. Next summer I hope to have some pictures for you. I should get some pics with the 25-284 if that is about done?

Great story and pics. Sounds like a good time. I can't wait to get the .270AM. Thanks for posting it.

Congrats Kirby. Very nicely done.
A couple questions and comments if you don't mind.

Is that a Montana chuck, and if so, would you say it is an average colored chuck for Montana?

[ QUOTE ]
scanned the slides for about 10 minutes and found another chuck hunkered up on a large flat rock. The area the chuck was in was not offering an accurate range measurement but knowing the area very well and having a spot in front of the chuck(1088 yards) and behind the chuck(1129 yards) that I could get readings on I figured him to be in the 1114 to 1115 range give or take a yard or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you start getting annoyed with no bounce backs at xtreme range with lasers, then it is time to whip out the Barr and Stroud or Wild optic rangefinders! I say this because I know you're trying for the 1500 yard club, and I know from experience that to get it done, you will need an optic rangefinder for your task.

[ QUOTE ]
Just not enough frontal area and energy to open the small caliber bullets up to inflict severe tissue damage, at least not with the 107 gr SMK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually just got back from a chuck hunt myself where I dumped a pup at 1115 yards with my 22-250 AI fast twist. The wind was blowing a tad over 25 MPH which really wasn't kind to my 80 grain Nosler bullet, but it still managed to kill the chuck just fine. I have also flipped chucks off their rocks with the same rifle using 75 amax bullets at just about every distance from 1000 to 1100 yards. They work fine on chucks up to about 10 lbs. I have seen my uncle take chucks everywhere from 1000 yards to over 1500 yards with his 6-284 and it has alway performed well except for the chuck he shot at 1515 yards. It truly had run out of energy at that extreme range.
I don't shoot 107 sierras with my 6 BRT, but I have killed two chucks now over 1000 yards with the 95 berger vld's and they killed great! And they were only leaving the muzzle at 3050 fps. In my experience, the smaller bullets get bad wraps sometimes when in reality they can excel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Anyways, great shooting!

Goodgrouper,

Yes for a mature chuck here in Montana this is the normal color patten. They are very darl on their back, with a yellow muzzle and sometimes their entire face is yellow or even nearly white on the older chucks. Their bellies are very bright yellow.

In this case, the belly on this chuck was GONE so I decided to keep the photo tastefull and limit the blood for the camera.

As far as rangefinders go, I have looked at the optical rangefinders often. I have also been looking into investing in something like the Leica Vector with their 6000 meter range capabilites. Even if it only got 50% of its listed ranging ability it would be all I would ever need, I think!!

Onto the smaller caliber rounds at 1000 yards and out. I am not saying they do not work and work very well at times. I have used my fast twist 6mm-284 with the 107 gr Sierra MK loaded to 3500 fps for many years with good results.

In fact from 500 to 800 yards it is flat out deadly with any solid hit on a chuck of any size. I have also taken many chucks in the 900 to 1055 yard range with this rifle which was my previous personal best one shot kill which has since been topped twice in the first two outings this season with the sporter 270 AM.

I have also made hits on chucks at ranges from 1000 to a bit under 1300 yards with the big 6mm only to find a blood trail back to the den. Often covering 10 to 20 yards to get to the den.

With an impact to the chests or head it is instant lights out but on soft body hits I have not had great luck. Again note I am using the 107 gr SMK which does have a pretty stout jacket for chucks at these ranges.

The J-4 jacketed bullets are much lighter and expand much quicker then SMKs so they do result in much more instant stops on smaller game like chucks.

The A-Max may be the best of all of them for on game performance with its tipped design to initate expansion. Unfortunately, my 1-8, 3 groove Lilja eats these and the Bergers up at anything over 3250 fps and at that velocity I may as well be shooting a 243 AI in the 30" barrel.

Maybe the chucks up here in Montana are just tough little monsters. I once witnessed a chuck take four hits from a 7x57 Mauser at 250 to 300 yards loaded with the 120 gr Ballistic Tip!!! If I had not been watching it though the spotting scope I would not have believed it. The only reason it did not get away was because hit numebr 4 was in the mellon.

I hear about these chucks that get flipped several feet from hits at 1000 yards and beyond. I have never seen this. The only chuck I have really thrown hard at long ranges was with my 50 BMG.

It may be an expansion rate issue as the big 169.5 gr ULDs simply fold the chucks up on the spot. They were center body hits though and not chest and head hits. Still I have yet to pick up a chuck and really throw one at extreme range.

Maybe we just have FAT chucks up here in MT?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thats fine with me, bigger targets so its easier for me to hit them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

10-4 Kirby.

I have hunted chucks in Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming and have seen a wide variety of coloration-especially in Idaho. Your Montana chuck is the usual coloration for the species. I have heard from others that Montana chucks sometimes exhibit a somewhat lighter gray color like a few I've shot in Idaho. Have you seen these light gray kind up there?

Kirby -- dont worry about the vectors working -- pinged grey rocks at a mile no problem, handheld.

it will range as far as you can shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

just sell your car so you can buy one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JB

Goodgrouper,

Personally I have not seen any light grey colored chucks. They all have looked like this in general. The younger chucks are lighter color but because of the relatively low numbers we try to only target mature chucks.

We used to have alot of chucks in this area but about 10 years ago a bunch of guys thought it was a good time to shoot chucks with their 22-250s and 243at ranges of under 100 yards.

They would hike the lava rock rims and shoot them as they traveled. Using this method in this area, it was easy to get 30 chucks in an afternoon as the terrain really allowed easy approach to chucks.

I will admit we did this at first two but then quickly realized that at this rate the population would not last for long so we quite this type of hunting and stepped back to at least 500 yards away when we started long range chuckin.

Unfortunatly many others did not and after several years it was hard to find any chucks. As such the interest fell off from many of the locals and we are starting to see a slight rebound in numbers but nothing like what it used to be.

Now we try to stay at least a 1/2 mile away for chuckin and limit targets to the mature chucks. Hopefully here in another 5 years we will start getting back to the good days of chuckin!!

Kirby Allen(50)

JB,

Yes they certainly have sticker shock value on those price tags. Still would be nice to never have any problems with a portable range finder.

Not sure if it would be quite that nice though!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.