APS "270 Allen Mag" @ Long Range!

srhaggerty

APS \"270 Allen Mag\" @ Long Range!

Got your attention didn't I. Well most of it is true, except the long range part. I tend not to post a whole lot, but some might remember that I drew a Rocky Mountain Goat tag in Idaho. After a very long and trying season, I was met with a little luck last Friday. My usual hunting buddy that was tagging along for the goat hunt was busy this weekend. Rather than let that hold me back I got the wife convinced to go.

So friday morning we take off for the mountains around 8:30. Takes about 3 hours or so to get there. We finally arrived at the road at noon. I unloaded the motorcylce and got my pack frame all ready. Mounted the 270 AM on the handle bars. Had the wife hop on and 20 minutes later we were at the top.

After about a mile hike in, we came to a saddle where we could spot goats. Sure enough, 400 yards threw burnt timber we half a dozen goats feeding. Got the spotter set up and started looking them over. After a few minutes they ducked over the finger ridge and we went down after them... After about an hour or so my ife and I were positioned above them about 150 yards. After giving them what I felt was a good look over I decided on one. Made a perfect shot. I had 2 slight misjudgings though. #1 I thought they were on a small bench. Turns out not. She took a slight tumble. #2 I made and error in judgement on the sex. Turns out it was a nanny. My wife doesn't take good pictures, so here is one of my wife with my 9" nanny.

Re: APS \"270 Allen Mag\" @ Long Range!

Great!!! How did the bullet perform?

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd much rather look @ a pretty lady than you any day!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well done.

So how did you convince your wife to get on the back of a motorcylce with you driving?

What kind of bullet were you shooting? and how did it perform at that range?

Bill,

I was shooting the 140 grain accubond at 3625fps. It preformed great. There was really little damaged to the hide. She was quartering away and I missed the offside shoulder by a hair. There was maybe a 2 inch hole out the back side. She was dead instantly. I was so hoping to use my 169.5 ULD's, but didn't get the gun ready for those in time.

Fantastic! Congratulations on your successful goat hunt. Sounds like the 270 AM handled the job pretty easy. Sounds like by the time you recovered from the shot, she was already down and out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks like even though she took a tumble that the horns came through it o.k..

Are you going to have 'er mounted? They look really great when they are all washed up and snowy white. I got a really good deal from a taxidermist friend and had one I got mounted life size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ss7mm,

Thanks. When I shot she gave a slight shudder. And then fell over.

She has a very slight cut under her left eye. I was shocked out how little damage there was after that tumble.

I am absolutely going to have her life size mounted. It will take me a while to pay that bill off, but in a year or so I should get her back.

I wanted to thank Kirby for all his hard work getting me this rifle in time for this hunt. I sure appreciate it man.

srhaggerty,

I am very glad it worked out and JUST in time I might add!!!

You are very welcome and thanks for the support!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.