270-7 WSM

ol mike

Did I read onboard here of a 270 WSM necked up to a 7mm WSM?Or am I mistaken.

If so just overlook me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
I thought maybe >the 270 provides a better neck or something.Anyway i did a search and it turned up 1 million things. Thanks Mike

Ol' Mike,

I have that reamer and we have talked about it some on LRH. I have built LR handguns and a rifle with this reamer and both have been performing very well.

The reason for the design was to use be able to use the high quality 270 WSM brass but with the bullet selection of the 7mm family of bullets.

Kirby Allen(50)

Who makes the 270 WSM brass?
What's envolved in necking it up ,?just size the neck?

Also ,what is "es"stand for in ballistics? I'm new to reloading ,and only have a Lee set-up and load manual and don't remember anything ever mentioned about ES.Thanks Mike

I'm not sure about the procedure for necking the brass up, but ES stands for extreme spread in velocity.

[ QUOTE ]
Who makes the 270 WSM brass?
What's envolved in necking it up ,?just size the neck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike,

Norma makes 270 WSM brass.

I believe Redding makes a tapered expander. You would just lube it with Imperial or other good lubricant and size it from .277 to .284. Fire-form and get to the fun part.

To be honest, the only thing you need to do is seat a boattail bullet of 7mm diameter in the standard 270 WSM case.

I prefer Ballistic Tips of Accubonds as their solid base will not deform to the slightly higher seating pressures as the bullet itself expands the case up the needed 0.007" of an inch from .277"(270) to .284"(7mm).

Also, just running the brass through a 7mm WSM die will expand the neck as well.

You can also buy a standard 7mm WSM sizing die and take it to your local gunsmith. With carbide cutters you can easily take off 0.050" of the die length to allow for the slightly shorter 270 WSM parent case.

To be honest though. I would suspect the standard 7mm WSM with Winchester brass will serve your needs very well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.