264 Winchester Magnum OWNERS ?

Sorry it has taking me a bit to get back to you. Yes my rifle averages 3/4" groups at 100 yards and some are smaller. It will average 2" at 300 yards with the load I gave. I probably could actually get tighter groups but the scope that I use has heavy cross hairs made for low light game shooting not target work. They cover a good bit of the target area and it is hard to do glint edge shooting. But when it is about 5 minutes before dark when old BIG ONE comes out you can still see the cross hairs and put the hammer on him. :D

I know what you mean about the cross hairs I have a heavy duplex leupold OLD VariX III that I feel limits my group size as well, but in that time after dusk they sure do come in HANDY!!!! 3/4" or better is what I'm looking at in the VLD's I'm sure I can get it there with reloads with no problem!!!!!

Popapi
I have one built with the exact same barrel, but I only have 200 rounds down the tube so far, so I don't know how many rounds it will last at this point. I love mine, 68.4 gr of Retumbo, 140 gr Berger, WW cases, 215M primers gives me 3250 fps and less than 1 moa groups. I had the barrel finished as long as possible at 27.5 inches long also.

Just waiting for some retumbo. So I can start mine. I have a 26" Shilen. Barrel on mine

In the late 1960's, I shot a .264 Win. Mag. for long range matches. Used Norma 138-gr. match bullets 'cause Sierra didn't make any. Sierra Bullets gave me a couple hundred of their prototype 140-gr. HPMK's for it, but they didn't shoot very accurate.

That barrel lasted 640 rounds before going from a 3" grouper at 600 yards to a 15" one in only 5 shots. At the match it happened, I asked a friend who used to shoot a 6.5-06 for long range about that barrel life; he said that's about right. His 6.5-06 lasted about 750 rounds before doing the same thing.

I don't know if some powders made these days how long a .264 Win Mag barrel will last. Probably not much longer as the Win Mag round's way, way over bore capacity.

That barrel never changed point of impact as it heated up; not even for 25 shots fired 30 seconds apart. Neither will any other properly stress relieved barrel that's fit to a receiver whose face has been squared to the barrel tenon thread axis. Which is why factory barrels typically wander shot placement on target as they heat up; too much stress builds up as the metal expands against the one hard contact point.

Wow ONLY 640 rounds, and this was a bench rest rifle correct?
'Twasn't a benchrest rifle. 'Twas a prone rifle for long range highpower matches. An squared up Win. 70 action epoxy bedded in a wood stock with a Douglas 1:9 twist, 28 inch barrel, standard SAAMI chamber shooting new Winchester cases with 70-some grains of H870 ignited by Rem. 9.5 primers pushing out a Norma 139-gr. match bullet. Tested some 20-shot groups at 600 and worst one was 3.1 inch. At 1000, it held about 7.5 inches for 20 shots.

It was shooting within 1/4 MOA of call for the first dozen or so shots in the match and had not dropped a point; all were in the 10 and X rings. Then it started opening up; each successive shot was worse. Last 3 of 20 record shots went into almost 3 MOA.

Just fired a load I worked up using 130 gr.AccuBond ahead if 59 grains of IMR. 7828 Winchester brass cci large rifle primers and oal 3.293. Groups at 100 yds. .750" velocity 3,195 fps. Tomorrow. I try 59.5 and see what results I get.

Just fired a load I worked up using 130 gr.AccuBond ahead if 59 grains of IMR. 7828 Winchester brass cci large rifle primers and oal 3.293. Groups at 100 yds. .750" velocity 3,195 fps. Tomorrow. I try 59.5 and see what results I get.

How many rounds did you shoot through that chrony to settle on 3195fps? ..was that an average speed??

If so, what was the velocity-spread/consistency like between each clocked-shot?

I fired 5 rounds added all the speeds and divided by 5. Got average of 3,190 fps
1.3,195 fps
2.3,180 fps
3. 3,190 fps
4.3,185 fps
5.3,200fps

I find it curious that so many use retumbo. I couldnt get it to build pressure and generated a lot of soot on the case regardless of the powder charge.

I now use 4831 and get about 3200 with a hornady 140 amax.
I dont have access to the exact load. 28" benchmark barrel.

I had same problem with Retumbo. Plus I couldn't get groups smaller then 1" 1/2. I really like US869 and IMR. 7828

Does anyone have experience with either HSM Trophy Gold or Gunwerks premium ammo in .264 using the Berger 140 VLD? I have a 9" twist barrel.

Only use the gun for hunting, but have been using it for 38 years (25 of those while I lived in Alaska). Still shoots sub MOA groups.

I have I bought a box of HMS Trophy Gold Extended Range and grouping was great but velocity was terrible. If I can remember right it was 2,750fps

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.