264 Winchester Magnum OWNERS ?

Popapi

Guys I'm getting ready to build a custom 264 WinMag with a Broughton 5C 8 twist, and have one question for you. The ? would be how many rounds are you Guys getting/got before throat errosion. Don't matter if it's a custom or factory tube! Thanks in advance!

Popapi
I have one built with the exact same barrel, but I only have 200 rounds down the tube so far, so I don't know how many rounds it will last at this point. I love mine, 68.4 gr of Retumbo, 140 gr Berger, WW cases, 215M primers gives me 3250 fps and less than 1 moa groups. I had the barrel finished as long as possible at 27.5 inches long also.

Apex thanks for the info!!! 3250 is ROLLIN I'll finish mine at 26" and will be using the same powder and bullets, just HOPING I can atleast see 31-3150 and I'll be happy!!!

I have a Rem 700 action with a 9 twist 27 3/4" Shilen CM barrel that has about 175 rounds through it so I can't help you with your main question. I am using 66.5 grs Retumbo, WW 7mm Rem mag case reformed, CCI 250, 130 gr Nosler Accubond, OAL 3.450 which is 10 thousands off the lands and I average 3350 fps and 1/2 MOA accuracy. This rifle has a tight chamber and I got ejector marks on the case with 67 gr Retumbo but you can't complain about the velocity. I have shot 5 deer between 80 and 250 yards and all were DRT.

I will not be shooting this rifle at paper a whole bunch. It will be strictly a deer hunting rifle so it should last me the rest of my life.

RT that's AWESOME, just to add I'll be doing the same as per STRICTLY hunting with this rifle and figure it should last me a life time as well!!!!! Thanks for chiming in Sir!!!!!!!!!!!

Popapi I though I would add that the 130 Accubond is really a good bullet. I have only recovered one. It was shot into a big body buck at 111 yards. The buck was almost facing me with a slight left shoulder angle. The bullet was placed on the edge of the left shoulder. It smashed the shoulder made soup of the vitals and when I was cutting up the meat I found the bullet in the right ham. It was a text book mushroom and the weight was 87 grs. That bullet had to be still going around 3200 fps on impact and to smash that shoulder bone and go the length of that buck and still hold together it has to be a great bullet. Not to mention they are accurate. I was thinking about using the 120 ballistic tip but it was going 3600 fps and I think it would probably explode on the hair of a deer inside 200 yards. I did a lot of research and talked to a number of 264 mag shooters and decided that Retumbo seemed to be THE POWDER now for the 264 mag since they stopped making H-870. Good luck and good shooting and don't heat up that barrel too much when working up your loads. :D

Yes the ABond is a heckava bullet, actually I was going to start with the 140grVLD and then the ABond or Scirrocco(sp) II on top of some Retumbo that I have plenty of! To say the least I'm just waiting on the action(StillerPredator) I have the dies(redding), 250 once fired winchester brass, Broughton 8twist tube, and like I mentioned retumbo and 215 primers. On your groups I see you mentioned "less than 1 moa groups" is this at 100yrds? And if so would that be 3/4" or better?

As per heating the barrel I usually have a fan rotating on the barrel while shooting at the bench in 2-4 timed increment shots!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes the ABond is a heckava bullet, actually I was going to start with the 140grVLD and then the ABond or Scirrocco(sp) II on top of some Retumbo that I have plenty of! To say the least I'm just waiting on the action(StillerPredator) I have the dies(redding), 250 once fired winchester brass, Broughton 8twist tube, and like I mentioned retumbo and 215 primers. On your groups I see you mentioned "less than 1 moa groups" is this at 100yrds? And if so would that be 3/4" or better?

As per heating the barrel I usually have a fan rotating on the barrel while shooting at the bench in 2-4 timed increment shots!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if the claimed BC of .577 is correct concerning the 130 Scirroco? I talkeed to brad at Swift last week & he said it was & also said that this bullet has proved to be the best one they
have made to date. I may have to try that one.

NoMo I bet it is that Rascal is LONG and SLEEK my buddy shoots them in his 260AI with great results. I will try them when I get the rifle built!!!!!! I want to try the 140VLD's first then followed by the others(SSII&ABond).

I have shot 16 pounds of powder threw my .264 chambered for a 7mm dakota necked to .264. Both of my guns have the broughten 5-c barrel,one in 1-8 and 1 in 1-8/2. My velocitys are about 200 fps more than a standard .264. As long as you dont get your barrel hot you should easily get 1000+ rounds threw your tube. I have shot 100 grain at 4018,120grain at 3700 and 140 grain at 3450. I have shot a .264 since 1964 and loved the gun but if you ream it out to a .264-7mm dakota you will love it even more.Great barrel with great accuracy, my 2 cents

Boom AWESOME info. REALLY glad to see you have the same tube I have here on the floor. I feel the same as you do if it's not shot HOT I should see 1000 + thanks for chiming in. What type of groups are you getting with that BEAST!!!!

To tell the rest of the story I took my old .264 which would never ever shoot less than 1 1/2 inch and rechambered it to the 6.5 dakota and it emeadiatly would shoot3/4 inch groups. I think the nonbelted cases are just more accurate. The tightest group was.3 with 120 grain at 3529fps with most .6 or less. It seems that the 140 lapua with a bc of 618 are the best for the long range shooting as the wind drift is a lot less than the smaller bullets .I am not a bench rest shooter so Im sure it will do better. I should say that my tube is 29 inches. hope that helps

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.