264 Win Vs 7mmRM preference & why?

Which works fine as I am 77 years old and still working fine. All the new books have been backed off to stop the idiots from taking them to court. I also shoot 85gr hp at 3830fps and the 100gr BT at 3709fps. Who needs a 22-250 when a 85gr bullet will splatter any ground hog all over the county. LOL
So your 200 fps over a 50 year old load thats not pressure tested and yes it's 400 fps over any modern pressure teated load. But at least you admit it's a dangerous load.

Go Weatherby lol see my post on that. 😁
I believe left-handed folks should be given our own minority classification just because it is so difficult to find most caliber rifles made for lefties. Fortunately, I love Weatherby rifles. Here lately, I have bought myself a LH 338-378 Weatherby mag. I have had a 378 Weatherby since the late 70's. Sorry 30-378, but I have gone full-bore 338 cal. I gave my 30-378 to my youngest son, and I sold my 340 Wby. to help pay for the 338-378. All left-hand rifles.

I only got to nuke one smallish doe with the new 338-378, but it was a through and through shot with Berger 225gr TTSX boolits. She took nary a single step. No meat damage. Behind the shoulder shot. Broke two ribs going in and two coming out. Super-fine left-hand rifle!

I read here often about how loads are jacked up, with very fast steps. Oh and ejector marks. It only marking a little. I stop before that. I do run up my powder loads, and as much as 5grs above the reloading manuals. I setup one time with a powder and step up at the rate of .5grs if the general loading is about 70grs. If it's in the 40grs to 60grs I go up at about .2gr each step. I start off with low powder in the low area of the reloading manual and go from there. I load one round per powder increase, After each round is fired I inspect each case and primers after fired, before going on to the next increase of powder load. I have been very careful with this. The other is I generally don't use double based powder either. That because double base powders are more temp sensitive.
So get a temp sensitive chart to see where or how the powder react to temp change. So have a very large swing.

...I only got to nuke one smallish doe with the new 338-378, but it was a through and through shot with Berger 225gr TTSX boolits. She took nary a single step. No meat damage. Behind the shoulder shot. Broke two ribs going in and two coming out. Super-fine left-hand rifle!

I know we're not supposed to discuss ethics here, but for god's sake @Treeslug, in the future bring enough gun for the job, as you might not be so lucky next time...

I'd like to see what load is pushing a 160 in a 264 win mag 3200 out the muzzle. Either way the if can be done. A 162 eldx or eldm from a 7mm has a higher B.C. and will leave it.

Personally having 1 6.5mm cartridge in the house is 1 too many. I'm not a hater, but I'm geared up for my different 7mm's, 30 cal's, etc.. and the 6.5mm and 270 will never get the level of effort in load development, etc. they ought to get. To me it's kinda like some people feel having the in-laws over...
So the 264 isn't for you , I'm gathering ? Lol

.264 Win Mag has enough case capacity relative to bore diameter that you can use very slow powders. So a long barrel will really pay dividends in velocity. I run 32" barrels on my .264 Win Mags and get 3400 fps with 140 grain bullets and Retumbo. Dial it back to 3200 fps and you have a sub-50,000 psi load that you can shoot a lot without having the lands move very fast.

I have had many 7RM's but not a 264 YET‼️ A MAJOR reason I havnt had a 264 is because I am LH, and availability for 264 leftys Sucks❗ im now 55 so older ones know how availability for leftys has been. It is better but not great.
For a working rifle I prefer stainless synthetics. I hate when I dent my fancy wood stocks.‼️
When one looks at the 264 case its very EASY TO SEE where Remington Totally Copied the 264 and added .020 to the diameter.
I know both, especially the 264 needs a 26" pipe or better, the 7???
What is your opinion on 264 vs 7RM??
Caliber is basically ones own preference. They both are great. Browning and Christensen both make a south paw in the 6.5 PRC if that caliber trips your trigger.

I'm also a 55 year old lefty. The 264 mag had me thinking at one point then I noticed like you that an old Winchester or custom was the choices. I went with the 6.5-300 weatherby And never looked back. They offer lots of choices in left hand action and most caliber choices. I have several custom rifles and I have to say weatherby makes a very nice rifle. As far as the burning up barrels theme; just re barrel when it's time. 120 grain bullet pushing the near 3600fps. Just a thought!

The very first rifle that I purchased for myself was a 700ADL in 7RM and have several others. Great cartridge and used them on many Mule deer and elk. I was always interested in the 264WM and came across a 700BDL SS at a gunshow at a fantastic price and it came home with me. I took several Mule deer with it and wish I still had it.

I have a 260, 6.5x55, lol (Never a Needmore) of course a 7RM, but always wanted a 264, or?? 6.5-300, LH of course,, typical gun nut with most everything from 22 hornet to 458 Lott
Yes I still have some RH bolts and many ambidextrous rifles
Lol need to fill the niche but appreciate opinions

You have answered your own question.
You won't be truly satisfied till you get a 264 I've known a few people with 264's and love them.
I had that same type of itch for the 300WM. Ended up with a 300WSM, for that's all that was in stock. About 5 years later the 300WM itch came back. I went and got one.
Do what makes you happy happy.
You won't regret it.

I'm going to answer before I go thru the 7 pages so my opinion won't be swayed. I think the 264 Win got a bad wrap when it was introduced because of the powders of the day and it was set up and marketed more as a varmint rifle than big game.

A couple years after the 26 Nosler was introduced I decided I wanted one. I ended up with a Blaser R8 with a 300 Win and 243 barrel. I was going to have a 26 Nosler barrel built to fill that gap. After much study, I saw a properly twisted 264 Win would do close enough for me with the 142-156g bullets and wonderful powders we have today. No regrets at all with the 264 Win! This ram was only 300 yards but to say the results were devastating would be an understatement

View attachment 441851

Deer, sheep, mountain goat, even up to musk ox it has done a fantastic job on game. 7mm Mag was not even a thought. Maybe it is too versatile for me. Like a 30-06.
Congrats on an excellent harvest. I agree; there has been much innovation/improvement in powder, bullets, and barrels since the .264 WM's inception. Picking between the two boils down to personal choice/intended purpose.

I have had many 7RM's but not a 264 YET‼️ A MAJOR reason I havnt had a 264 is because I am LH, and availability for 264 leftys Sucks❗ im now 55 so older ones know how availability for leftys has been. It is better but not great.
For a working rifle I prefer stainless synthetics. I hate when I dent my fancy wood stocks.‼️
When one looks at the 264 case its very EASY TO SEE where Remington Totally Copied the 264 and added .020 to the diameter.
I know both, especially the 264 needs a 26" pipe or better, the 7???
What is your opinion on 264 vs 7RM??
7mm simply put the bullet. Own both, shoot 150's out of the .264- 160's out of the 7mm

Recent Posts