260 Rem.

rebel reds

I'm looking to build a 260 Rem, Just wondered if any one had any experience with a CZ or a Rem 700. Looking for a new toy to shoot coyotes with. I like the numbers that I've seen with it. How much twist do I need ( 1-10 ) and barrel length.

reb,
Most factory twist are 1-9. I think some building custom rigs even go with 1-8" twist for the 140/142gn bullets. I bought my youngest son a Rem 700 LSS Mountain Rifle in .260 Rem about 7-8yrs ago. He and I "shifted ownership" of a couple of rifles during the Christmas holidays. I let him hold my .25-06 Sendero and he left me the .260 Mtn Rifle. I just finished reloading some 100gn Partitions for it about an hour ago. Will try them tomorrow if the weather breaks.
If it were me building a custom rig, I go with 1-8" and at least 26" long barrel. Some may say different. JohnnyK.

Berger suggests a 1 in 9 for the 140 vld. This would be my bullet of choice.

Remington uses a 1 in 9"
CZ chambers the 6.5 x55, a slightly larger case. Twist rate is 1 in 8.6".

Berger says 1-9, but I thought most people think that 1-8.5 is better. 1-9 is the minimum and may not fully stabilize the 140's in all weather conditions. That's why most shoot 1-8s.

Willys

Bergers numbers are based on the lowest reasonble muzzle velocity and the densest air likely.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.