260 Rem or 260 AI?

peashooter

Hello to all 6.5 shooters,

I am building a 260 Rem and was contemplating using the Ackley Improved version versus the conventional. I would like to hear your experiences with either. I am not going to chamber for the 6.5/.284( My son-in-law has an MCR custom and it is a lazer). I am convinced I am building the 260 Rem., but does the AI version have enough good attributes to justify the added work of fireforming?

I have both, but they are in rifle for two different purposes. The 260AI is a semi custom 700 n a Manners stock, heavy barrel etc and the standard 260Rem is a Ruger Compact that is primarily my 12yr old son`s and my bush gun. So they aren`t direct comparisons.

However for what it`s worth.....

The AI isn`t that much of a pain. I use cream of wheat, but you could use the standard bullet method and get some practice in. Once the brass is formed you are done. I`ve never had to trim the brass at all and I`m on about the 6-7th loading.

I don`t have a direct comparison, but my 260AI gets about 50-100fps faster than published data for the standard 260Rem. If I was a making another long range rig i would go AI again.

what I've heard that 260AI throat chamber allows to seat them 140+ gr bullets before body-shoulder junction, in my 260 REM with 1:8 twist I have to seat bullets way pass shoulders, which contributes to amount of powder I can use so it limits muzzle velocity vs AI. Lately I'm considering 6.5x55 with a match chamber which should outperform 260REM or AI...

In my experience the 260AI has proven to be a great calibre. In agreement with the comments above - the cream of wheat fireform method is easy; case trimming is almost non existant and brass life has been good for me. I have a long throat in my rifle and can comfortably seat the long 140gn berger vld's with plenty of room for powder. I do not have a straight 260 to compare it to but I shoot the above projectile with low es and low pressure at 2950fps out of a 26in tube. After a lot of load devt Vithavouri n560 has proven to be the ultimate powder in my rifle. Faster velocities are possible (+50/60fps) before pressure rears its head but there is little gain in flogging to the very max. I am based in New Zealand and reliably take game to a self imposed max of 800 yds with this calibre.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts