260 Rem Load Recipeies?

I will know for sure when I get it, don't want to jinx anything :D hope not.
This Savage comes in HS stock which has aluminum bedding block, I'm planing to skin bedded after I replace its recoil lug or maybe I don't have to...

RL17 will probably produce best velocities, but H4350 is more temp stable. I push the 142grain SMK at 2912fps with H4350. My 140g VLD load with RL17 runs 3012. I will be redeveloping the VLD load (it is the deer hunting load) given the temp instability of RL17.

Compared to these other guys, the .236 accuracy of my 260 is junk!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

I wouldn't say .236 is bad I just happened to have Richard Schatz give me alot of good advice and help. Makes a difference when you riding someone like thats coat tails.

Brent

I wouldn't say .236 is bad I just happened to have Richard Schatz give me alot of good advice and help. Makes a difference when you riding someone like thats coat tails.

Brent

My response was total sarcasm! My 260 is deadly accurate. For the first several months I had the rifle, a shooting partner of mine had NEVER seen it miss on targets from 300 to 1200 yards.

Yeah I know, I am just giving credit where it is due. When you have a Hall of Fame(IBS and couple points away from NBRSA) shooter next to you with 10 World Records under his belt it is quite humbling. I thought I knew a little about shooting. I was mistaken.

Brent

I will know for sure when I get it, don't want to jinx anything :D hope not.
This Savage comes in HS stock which has aluminum bedding block, I'm planing to skin bedded after I replace its recoil lug or maybe I don't have to...

Doubt any bedding will be needed. It shouldn't hurt anything but unless something is really wrong with the block you might not see much difference. What model did you pick up?

Question???? why are you fire forming for a 260 when you can buy them off the shelf and they are cheap compaired to others.

Last edited:
A lot of people use .308 brass because they already have it (can't beat the price of free) or they don't like the remington brass which was just about all that was around. 7-08 is also a popular starting point for 260 brass. Of course now you can get lapua brass which might be cool.

I'm getting 12 LRP it has CM target action with detachable magazine, it has right bolt right port, 26" CM barrel.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/12lrp.png

Why fire-form brass, well I got some Lapua 308 brass unused, so why not... I did check Grafs website, yep they are selling Lapua brass now for 260, but when I was ordering my rifle they had none. I did buy Remington brass, which I already annealed and neck turned and separate them by weight and I just load them slightly with RL-15, 34gr, when I get my rifle I will monitor for fliers and refine them more.

more pictures I found searching web
http://gastatic.com/UserImages/1147/986221389/wm_2819693.jpg
http://gastatic.com/UserImages/1147/986221389/wm_2819694.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the load tables again, this is Lee Modern Reloading 2nd addition book, How's IMR4831 and IMR4350 compare to H4831 and H4350?

In my book IMR shows better velocities, IMR4350, 43gr, 2715 fps, 57000 PSI when comparing to H4350 42gr, 2677 fps, 58800 PSI. What I see IMR with +1gr load having better velocity and less pressure. I bet H4350 loaded to 43gr will drive faster, but then pressure might be risky. Then RL-19, 44.8 gr clocked@2690 fps has 60700 PSI and its presumed to be safe.

So what's safe pressure limit on 260 rem in bull barrel?

Jinx Keep in mind all barrels and guns do weird things. I was like you tried them all an settled on Reloader 17. Still bumping it up a bit at a time an untill I show some pressure loss Im gonna keep it up. I will get a 130 grain Berger over 3000 fps if I don't blow my self up. I have herd of others doing it acurately but they won't up there load. Got this feeling they don't want to get blamed for it an I don't blame them a bit.
Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts