260 Rem Load Recipeies?

Jinx-)

If everything goes smoothly, it looks like I'm getting new rifle chambered in 260 Remington. Previously I asked about converting 308 cases to 260, so I have few of them prepared. Now I have to make some loads, so I got 140 gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets 0.529 BC, 0.287 SD ,1.307 OAL, they are not like Berger, but for break-in and fire-forming brass they should work fine. From powders I have, RL-15, RL-17, RL-22, and Varget also I got some Trail Boss which I think I can use to fire-form brass without using any bullets. I have Lee Reloading book it looks like RL-22 would perform the best, but this book has nothing for RL-17, which I've heard is more superior. So does anyone have a good stable load using RL-17? Alliant website recommends 41gr which would push 2,645 fps. Thanx.

I am currently working on my 260 also. Mine is a 1:8 twist out of 26" brux barrel. H4350 seems to be looking favorable. Around 45gr. seems to be the sweet spot in mine. Once the rain stops I can go out and test a little more.

Brent

The one I'm getting will have Savage factory barrel, 26" 1:8 twist, I'm researching an option to replace it so far I'm leaning towards Criterion Barrels by Krieger, since they make drop-ins. As far as H4350, it does show slight advantage over RL-22, but I'm only looking at the load tables I have.

Always had great luck with H4831SC around 43 - 43.5gr with both amax 120 and berger vld 140. Think I was getting around 2770fps but I'd have to check that again on the chrony.

Thank you rinodods, I will definitely give it a try, just can't wait to get my hands on the rifle :). Thing is I've heard RL-17 is producing 3000+ fps with 140 gr BTHP, some claim 43+ grains will do this trick and it is not the limit for 260, but Alliant only posted 41 gr load. RL-17 load does look superior above all. With 3000fps and 139-140 gr bullet, this would give max range and penetration, just like 6.5-284 would :D
I found an article on 6mmbr about Erik Cortina using RL-17 and 139 gr Scenar bullets in 6.5x47 doing 2900 fps in Lawton 7500 RBRP left-eject action, mated to a 1:8″-twist, 28″ Krieger barrel.
and another one from DEMIGOD LLC, by Zak Smith "6.5mm Shootout: .260 Remington vs. 6.5x47 Lapua vs. 6.5 Creedmoor" "Bottom-line: Load, Ballistics, Accuracy
Final load: 139gr Lapua Scenar @ 2820 fps, 40.7gr H4350, CCI BR2, Lapua .243 brass necked up.
From a 100-yard zero, this load needs 7.4 mils of elevation to 1000 yards, and will drift 53 inches with a 10 mph cross. Accuracy is excellent at 1/4 MOA. November 2009 Update!
Alliant's new Reloder 17 powder is a perfect match to the .260 Remington. Testing over the last 9 months indicates that most shooters can get an additional 125-175 fps with the 139-142's using RL17!"

Last edited:
A lot of options out there for sure. Just take it easy and work your way up to any posted loads. I didn't push mine since the first load I tried was shooting great and had good velocity. Just remember as you push up there and try to match the 6.5-284 you might be matching its reputation for barrel wear as well. Good luck and enjoy that 260. I know I do put the pdogs hate it. lol

I think this is what I am going to go with.:D

Remington brass prepped and anealed.
130bergers
CCI benchrest primers
45.5 H4350

001-7-1.jpg

I haven't speedometered it yet to check SD or ES.

Brent

Those are way too big and you missed. lol Just kidding buddy that is an awesome group I bet it measures pretty close to the same as what I got. Jinx is really gonna be wanting that 260 now. gun)

260bergergroup.png

Last edited:
This is great shooting!!! It does look like H4350 is the powder for 260, I will get some for my rifle! And yes its been almost 4 weeks, can't wait to see my rifle, I hope factory barrel will not disappoint me... By the way guys, are all of those one hole groups done with factory or custom barrel? There is no way factory barrels can group that well.

I think Shilen can make match barrel for Savage target action. How long did it take for them to make one for you? By the way is this SS or CM barrel?

I see its from Midway, they have nothing for large shanks....

Mine is a Brux barrel. Shoot your savage you might be surprised. I would see what it will do before you spend $500 on a new barrel. I had a couple factory savages and did a pillar and bedding job. Changed out the recoil lug and they shot very very well. If you want more detail on them PM me and I will go into detail.

Brent

Last edited:
Shoot it and see how you do. Savage makes some good shooting barrels. You can get a made to order CBI barrel in what you want for around $250. Takes 6 - 8 weeks. CBI is a division of Krieger barrels. On par with shilen at least just cheaper for the moment. I can get you contact info for the guy that distributes them. Goes by northlander over at savageshooters.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts