260 Rem Load Recipeies?

I loaded up some 130 gr Accubonds yesterday with great results. Started at 42 gr of H4350 and moved up 43, 43.5, 44, 3@ 44.5, 3@ 45 I was thinking one of the 3 round groups would be my load so the others were just pressure indicators. Turns out 43-44 all grouped inside a half inch outside dimension. I picked 43.5 and loaded more up to confirm. Shot at 100 yards using R-P Brass, CCI 200, Seated to 2.8". 22" Barrel and 1:8 twist Savage Model 11

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and have been reading a little on this thread. I have a Sako 85 stainless hunter in 260 remington 22 7/16 factory sako barrell, 1:8 twist, bedded and a little trigger adjustment but bone stock aside from that. I bought this rifle as my all around deer up to elk gun. I had a custom gunsmith work up a load and mount a swarovski custom bt for it. His recipe is 130gr tsx, 45gr imr 4831, cci large rifle, remington peters brass, OAL 2.8.
The load shoots pretty decent best group .43, but it seems to be a little inconsistent and now long story short curiosity has gotten me. I'm wanting to settle on one hunting round and set turrett ring and be done with it. Again its a hunting rig.
So my question is...I understand load development doesnt happen overnight but if I were to set out and try to find one load, bullet, powder, etc. for good performance on whitetail, mule deer, and maybe elk that will flat out consistently shoot through my rifle and I want a real shot at nailing it on first attempt or two what suggestion would you guys have as a solid starting point?
From what ive gathered and little reading I'm leaning M4350 with berger vld 130,140, or 139 scenar...? Open though..
Also remember i'm pretty new to this so small details help alot.
Thanks

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and have been reading a little on this thread. I have a Sako 85 stainless hunter in 260 remington 22 7/16 factory sako barrell, 1:8 twist, bedded and a little trigger adjustment but bone stock aside from that. I bought this rifle as my all around deer up to elk gun. I had a custom gunsmith work up a load and mount a swarovski custom bt for it. His recipe is 130gr tsx, 45gr imr 4831, cci large rifle, remington peters brass, OAL 2.8.
The load shoots pretty decent best group .43, but it seems to be a little inconsistent and now long story short curiosity has gotten me. I'm wanting to settle on one hunting round and set turrett ring and be done with it. Again its a hunting rig.
So my question is...I understand load development doesnt happen overnight but if I were to set out and try to find one load, bullet, powder, etc. for good performance on whitetail, mule deer, and maybe elk that will flat out consistently shoot through my rifle and I want a real shot at nailing it on first attempt or two what suggestion would you guys have as a solid starting point?
From what ive gathered and little reading I'm leaning M4350 with berger vld 130,140, or 139 scenar...? Open though..
Also remember i'm pretty new to this so small details help alot.
Thanks

IMR 4831 is a good choice but I had better luck with H4831sc in my Sako 85 it really likes 140'S IMR 4831 always seemed to open up when I went beyond 43gr. The TSX and the 1 IN 8 twist combination is real good on game it doesn't drop them but leaves a blood trail a blind man can follow. I've shot the 120's with 42gr of H4350 accuracy is sub MOA for 5 shots and its a real game getter. The long range prospects with it are not very good though.

With the TSX I get all the jump I can and have been loading them with a light crimp in the shortest channel.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I loaded up some 130 gr Accubonds yesterday with great results. Started at 42 gr of H4350 and moved up 43, 43.5, 44, 3@ 44.5, 3@ 45 I was thinking one of the 3 round groups would be my load so the others were just pressure indicators. Turns out 43-44 all grouped inside a half inch outside dimension. I picked 43.5 and loaded more up to confirm. Shot at 100 yards using R-P Brass, CCI 200, Seated to 2.8". 22" Barrel and 1:8 twist Savage Model 11

I hunted with the 140 NAB last year in my 260 rem. Accuracy was stellar with H4831SC starting at 43gr. I shot about 6 VA Whitetails with it and there was minimal trauma almost like they weren't shot minimal meat damage and they did'nt travel far but I am going back to the 120gr ballistic tips this year you know they've been shot with them and almost any reasonable powder primer combination has been really good.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

IMR 4831 is a good choice but I had better luck with H4831sc in my Sako 85 it really likes 140'S IMR 4831 always seemed to open up when I went beyond 43gr. The TSX and the 1 IN 8 twist combination is real good on game it doesn't drop them but leaves a blood trail a blind man can follow. I've shot the 120's with 42gr of H4350 accuracy is sub MOA for 5 shots and its a real game getter. The long range prospects with it are not very good though.

With the TSX I get all the jump I can and have been loading them with a light crimp in the shortest channel.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Tried Superformance yet?
Makes the 123 Lapuas really fly and very accurate @ 300 yds.
My rifle shoots very well with this powder and 123 gr. bullets.
Consistent hits on golf balls @ 300.
SARGESNIPER ......... SEMPER FI.

FWIW for believers in OBT,
With the data you provided and using case length of 2.025", QuickLoad predicts slight over pressure of 62K and BT of 1.091ms, velocity of 2822fps. There is a perfect OBT node at 42.5gr which results is max pressure of 58K, BT of 1.127ms, vel 2759. QL isn't perfect in these BT calculations but often times the optimal charge is within a few tenths. Others have observed this, as have I.

BT = barrel time
OBT = optimal barrel time

I know this post is a little old but I read through it before drumming up some loads for my new Remington SPS 260 Rem 24". And after running them through the gun Sunday I figured I'd post my results. All of these loads were with Berger VLD 140gr., new Nosler brass, 210M primers and had 2.95" c.o.a.l.

H4350 produced 2,733 fps with 43.5gr.
Hybrid 100V produced 2,858 fps with 43.5gr.
4000-MR produced 2,770 fps with 45 gr.
H4831SC produced 2,833 fps with 47 gr.
Reloader 22 produced 2,902 with 47 gr.

I'll be loading these powders up again, some with more powder to see where their limits are and also more of them so I can see how they'll group out of this gun.

I know this post is a little old but I read through it before drumming up some loads for my new Remington SPS 260 Rem 24". And after running them through the gun Sunday I figured I'd post my results. All of these loads were with Berger VLD 140gr., new Nosler brass, 210M primers and had 2.95" c.o.a.l.

H4350 produced 2,733 fps with 43.5gr.
Hybrid 100V produced 2,858 fps with 43.5gr.
4000-MR produced 2,770 fps with 45 gr.
H4831SC produced 2,833 fps with 47 gr.
Reloader 22 produced 2,902 with 47 gr.

I'll be loading these powders up again, some with more powder to see where their limits are and also more of them so I can see how they'll group out of this gun.

Drop the 4831 load down one grain and try with 139 gr. Lapua. It shines in mine.

I have outstanding results with both H-4350 and H-4831sc 42.5 gns in the former and 46.5 in the latter. This is with all bullets in the 130-142 range. Lapua, Berger's, A-Max and SMK's.

I may be the only one, but, I hunt with an AB 130 gr and W-760. A really good load for my .260 Rem Mountain rifle.
my 2 cents rch

I may be the only one, but, I hunt with an AB 130 gr and W-760. A really good load for my .260 Rem Mountain rifle.
my 2 cents rch

Not much to go on with your post. Give details with rifle and load. I have some W-760 but never tried it. What kind of speed and group?

Here is what works great @ 300 with mine. You may want to try it.

Savage Target with 30" Bartlein 8.5" twist.

139 gr. Lapua 2.277" with Hdy. Comparator. Jumping .018"
46.0 gr H-4831sc
CCI BR2
Win. 243 or Lapua .260
AVG. 2830 fps.
1/4" @ 100 yds.
3/4" @ 300 yds.

Ok, this is my white-tail rifle. Totally stock REM 700 BDL Mountain Rifle with detachable box magazine from back when it had the spaghetti barrel and the pretty wood with really deep blueing (I am thinking late 80's). 41.5 gr of W-760, Nosler 130gr Accubond (white tip), Federal LR primer, Remington Brass, COAL 2.829 (not comparator). The only other notes I have in my load book on this load are the words 700 Mountain Rifle - PERFECT.

Book velocity shows to be about 2800 FPS. I have been loading this for about 10 years now. Best Cold Bore first shot I have ever had. Always on. I have killed a lot of fall and winter deer with this load.

I only use this rifle for hunting but I do know that it is only good for 3 shots before the barrel is too hot for any more accuracy. It only shoots cold. By accurate, I mean 3 shot groups with no subtraction at much less that 1/2 " at 100. I am confident at kills to the 375 mark as the rifle is currently set.

I know this isn't really long range, but, man is this a nice 400 yard max carry gun for an old man.

rch

Ok, this is my white-tail rifle. Totally stock REM 700 BDL Mountain Rifle with detachable box magazine from back when it had the spaghetti barrel and the pretty wood with really deep blueing (I am thinking late 80's). 41.5 gr of W-760, Nosler 130gr Accubond (white tip), Federal LR primer, Remington Brass, COAL 2.829 (not comparator). The only other notes I have in my load book on this load are the words 700 Mountain Rifle - PERFECT.

Book velocity shows to be about 2800 FPS. I have been loading this for about 10 years now. Best Cold Bore first shot I have ever had. Always on. I have killed a lot of fall and winter deer with this load.

I only use this rifle for hunting but I do know that it is only good for 3 shots before the barrel is too hot for any more accuracy. It only shoots cold. By accurate, I mean 3 shot groups with no subtraction at much less that 1/2 " at 100. I am confident at kills to the 375 mark as the rifle is currently set.

I know this isn't really long range, but, man is this a nice 400 yard max carry gun for an old man.

rch
I have the earlier model in .280 Rem. without the DBM. A great Colorado packing rifle. Mine has a 22" BBL. I free floated the barrel and found it needed the pressure point. At the time I got mine I don't recall it being available in .260. I really wanted a 7mm08 but had no time to wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.