.260-Long Barrel or Short?

I guess that makes sense. I have a Tikka T3 Varmint model in .308 with a 24'' barrel and it shoots great out to 500 yards. I have a burris 4.5-14 with the BDC reticle on it and my post stops at 500. It is heavy but not over the top. I guess I could do a 24'' in the 260 also. That way I get a little bit of both world.

As always, J E Custom is wise....

Any rifle with a 26" barrel will gain velocity over one with a 20" barrel ! It's just a matter of
how much. With any cartrige there is an optimum barrel length where the percentage of
velocity increase drops off, and the gain may not be worth the other issues.

If you plan to carry the rifle to a shooting position and shoot long distances only, then I would
recommend a 28"+. But if it is to be used as a Carry rifle and used in an enclosure (Blind) I would
recomend 22 to 24" max. the loss in velocity will be minimal.

The 308 based cartriges perform well with 20 to 22 " barrels but 24" will do a little more and still not be cumbersome.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I have used lengths from 20-28" and velocity loss wasn't much as one would think. Powder choice is where the big difference was. Some lost 200fps in 4" less barrel. Some lost less than 100fps.

For a do-all I would go 22". If I did only hunting at longrange I would go26-28". I use my 20" 260s for the thick stuff. I use my 24" for the longer ranges out to 500yds. I may try the 18lb 28" just for fun this year. Gonna have to reinforce the shooting sticks;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.