Savage build - long or short?

bookworm

Considering a custom .308 off of a Savage action...used mostly for LR target, but could be for hunting as well.

Would like some guidance on whether to use a long action or short action for the build. I know that the .308 only requires a short, but wondering advantages and disadvantages of going one way or the other.

Seems like longs are more readily available so leaning that direction but don't know the downsides...or upsides with going short.

Thanks!

Guessing repeater, investing some coin in a stock. Would say long as it affords you the ability to go backwards with cartridges. Swapping bolt heads and magazines would enable you to try some different stuff without buying another action or a stock....

If the 308 was it would go short.....

M

If you built a .308 with a 1:10" twist to push the heavy bullets, mag length would be a factor. The heavier and longer the bullet, you might need a long action to mag feed. Single feed would not be an issue either way. On the other hand, more stocks are to be commonly found for the short action. Personal choice lol.

Good luck with your build.

I have heard from several guys the a short action would be stiffer because of the smaller ejection port. How much that actually matters or how true it is who knows but I could see how that would be true.

Thanks for the input guys. Also thinking long action since it gives flexibility down the road as well as swapping barrels since it is relatively easy.

Sounds like there is no downside with feeding shorter rounds like the .308 in a long action. True? I've heard of some issues in general, but nothing specific to Savage.

Joe - what are the specs/process on your Steven's build? Stock, barrel, trigger, etc.

Thanks for the input guys. Also thinking long action since it gives flexibility down the road as well as swapping barrels since it is relatively easy.

Sounds like there is no downside with feeding shorter rounds like the .308 in a long action. True? I've heard of some issues in general, but nothing specific to Savage.

Joe - what are the specs/process on your Steven's build? Stock, barrel, trigger, etc.
It's a short action. Prarie Dog stock from stockade with the AI mag bottom metal. An ER Shaw 20 inch "tactical" barrel. Cant decide between SWFA SS scope or Vortex viper. Either way it will be a 44-ish mm objective. Gonna do the Sav-1 trigger and take it down to two pounds. I got an extended bolt handle from midway USA for 15 bucks. Gonna develop a load using 155GR rounds to shoot flat in close and reach out to 1000 yards. Thinking about using it for F-class type matches on the cheap, and killing ground hogs.

Go with a long action. You won't need to worry about stock or firing pin lengths when swapping around.

I use a long action with the factory DBM. Works great for all my short action stuff.

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like the're not much tangible downside with the long action....now it's time to start looking for a decent used rifle to scavange an action from.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.