260 lapua brass?

Lrdchaos

Talked to my smith last night and he recommend the 260. He said with lapua brass i can get 20 reloads before it goes south. Would that be accurate? What type of life are you getting out of your lapua brass?

I shoot Lapua brass in a Savage LRP 260 Rem. I was very disappointed when I started loosing cases due to loose primer pockets after 1 firing. I lost about 25% of a lot of 100. I know Lapua's rep for good brass so I bought another 100 hoping that the first lot was an anomaly. I have fired 30 or so of the new lot but haven't reloaded any of them yet so don't know if this is a better lot. On depriming those thirty I did notice a few primer pockets that seemed a little loose so I am not optimistic. The loads I'm running are up near max but not over. No sticky bolt. Primers are flat but not excessively so.

Nevertheless, the point that your gunsmith made is valid. 260 brass should handle a lot of reloads and I'm sure you could find a brand that lasts though I don't know if 20 reloads is achievable and I don't know if that brand would be Lapua. I have found that Remington brass in 338 RUM is crap but Remington brass in 300 RUM is just fine. Nosler brass in 338 RUM is great but in 260 Rem appears about like the Lapua. Go figure. It looks like Lapua might be one to stay away from in 260 Rem - though the jury is still out on that one. I have found Winchester brass (which is made of a tougher alloy) seems pretty resistant to loose primer pockets. The Winchester brass however is more prone to work hardening and therefore needs annealing more frequently. I'll likely get some 260 Rem Winchester brass next if this lot of Lapua is a bust.

20 loads out of a 260 seems to be quite alot. Lapua brass or not. I guess it depends how hot you want to load it. I use Hornady brass and dont have any issues and its ALOT cheaper.

I don't have 20 loads, but do have over 10 in my Lapua 260 brass and it's still going strong. However, having said that, I have 8 loads with my Rem 260 brass, as well and it's also doing good! I use both and they have worked well for me! Shooting 42.5 grains of H-4350 with 142 SMK's and the 140 A Max in my 260.

the secret to many reloads on Lapua brass is minimal resizing, usually this means custom reamers and dies.
I have shot a 30 BR in Comp which only gets sized enough to close the bolt and 2-3/1000 on the neck. I can shoot all yr on 20 pieces and 1000 rds. Thats 50 firings per piece of brass and remain competitive all year. This is with high pressure loads of 108 gr custom bullet and 37 gr H-4198 not some pooch load and without annealing.

"disclaimer" do not try this in your rife without working up,

I've also had 6 PPC brass only last 5 shots because the chamber was off and had to resize way more. Bad Chamber job.

I am using Lapua brass in my .243 Win and my .260 Rem. I have used lapua in the 260 from the beginning so I cannot compare it to another brand. I am on my 4th reload and primer pockets are still nice and tight. I have not cut the cases to length as they are holding very well. I shoot 130gr. vld's at 2900fps. My 243 was switched to lapua when I rebarreled and trued the Savage action. I am shooting a 75 gr. VMax at 3415 fps. The primer pockets are still tight after 5 reloads, but I have had to trim them to length several times. Compared to other brands I feel the lapua is superior in strength, uniformity, and durability. It is worth the extra cost for me.

TRUC said it right! The secret to lapua brass is a custom chamber. My 284 shehane has a 315 nk zero freebore. I have 9 reloads on my brass. Some loose primer pockes but my load is 2920 fps with 180 bergers!

Hi

I use .260 Rem Lapua brass and have reloaded 10 times so far. Not being an expert and as far as I can see there hasen't been any deterioration yet. I brush clean the pockets and neck resize with Redding bushing dies. One thing: never had to adjust the case length. Measure exactly the same length as when new.

Cheers

I have also experienced loose primer pockets using Lapua brass in both my 260 and 308 with brass purchased over the last two years. I'm lucky if I can get 3-4 reloads before the primers fall out. I have tried different lots. I have had better performance from Norma brass in 260. I get up to 10 relaoads in my 6.5x284 and 223 using Lapua brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.