260 Hunting Loads

COH there are plenty of good reviews on MidwayUSA for the 129 ABLR most of the applicable to the 260. You may run in to a problem with mag length in your 700. My Sako shoots them great as well but not so with my CDL SF. In the Sako I can load to 2.900 without issue which makes the 129 a great candidate.

Check out the reviews attached. I would not hesitate to use the 120 T/TSX for Pronghorn. I've harvested over 100 Virginia Whitetails with my 260's and Pronghorn are about the same size as a lot of them and probably not quite as tough. Hit em in the chest and see what happens.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010504851?pid=137565

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

COH there are plenty of good reviews on MidwayUSA for the 129 ABLR most of the applicable to the 260. You may run in to a problem with mag length in your 700. My Sako shoots them great as well but not so with my CDL SF. In the Sako I can load to 2.900 without issue which makes the 129 a great candidate.

Check out the reviews attached. I would not hesitate to use the 120 T/TSX for Pronghorn. I've harvested over 100 Virginia Whitetails with my 260's and Pronghorn are about the same size as a lot of them and probably not quite as tough. Hit em in the chest and see what happens.
If you can get out to 2.900 the longer bullets will load nicely, I finally got my 260 wrapped up and the 130 AB just shoot too good not to use. Wound up with IMR4350 powder which was where I started with fed210M primers in Norma or Lapua brass at .008 off lands. Tight groups and the 130's work great on our northern whitetails up north here. I really can't decide which cartridge I like better for deer, 260 or 7mm-08. They are both winner's in my book.

A little update on her rifle , the load we used and her pronghorn hunt. Couldn't get the 129 gr ABLR to shoot because as scottishkat stated, they are too long for the 700's magazine, so they will be used in my creedmoor. We found that the 130gr AB with H4350, WLR primers and remington brass was the ticket. So to make a long story short, her antelope hunt lasted a whopping 15 min and a broadside shot at 280 yrds, the AB took out a rib going in and out, the buck took 5 steps and tipped over, she couldn't have been happier. So now we are looking for a bear and hopefully the performance is the same. Thanks for all the great info guys. Good luck this fall

Another update for the 260. Yesterday was opening day for our 3rd rifle season and the wife has a land owner cow tag that her father got from a friend , woke up to wind, rain, and snow when you got up higher. Needless to say, my hunting partner WAS NOT happy to go trudge around in the muck. So, i finally get her to a spot that isn't too bad for the weather conditions and proceed to wait. About 45 minutes after shooting light, a small group of elk start down the hill towards the pond and my partner is no longer complaining about being cold. I get her set up on the sticks just as the first cow hits the pond dam and continues across the draw, at 275 yrds the d*** wind shifts, so it's now or never. Anyway, she hits the lead cow right behind the shoulder, a tad lower than i would have liked but 20 yrds later the cow is down and my wife is estatic with her first elk. The accubond performed flawlessly again. Thanks again to all the members who chimed in with info and ideas

Another update for the 260. Yesterday was opening day for our 3rd rifle season and the wife has a land owner cow tag that her father got from a friend , woke up to wind, rain, and snow when you got up higher. Needless to say, my hunting partner WAS NOT happy to go trudge around in the muck. So, i finally get her to a spot that isn't too bad for the weather conditions and proceed to wait. About 45 minutes after shooting light, a small group of elk start down the hill towards the pond and my partner is no longer complaining about being cold. I get her set up on the sticks just as the first cow hits the pond dam and continues across the draw, at 275 yrds the d*** wind shifts, so it's now or never. Anyway, she hits the lead cow right behind the shoulder, a tad lower than i would have liked but 20 yrds later the cow is down and my wife is estatic with her first elk. The accubond performed flawlessly again. Thanks again to all the members who chimed in with info and ideas
Breaking in here. Would like to know which rifle has longer 260 rem mag. box? Remington Savage Tikka Browning winchester and what length it is? Thanks to all here Tribb

Breaking in here. Would like to know which rifle has longer 260 rem mag. box? Remington Savage Tikka Browning winchester and what length it is? Thanks to all here Tribb
Tikka's are all long action. They use a shorter bolt stop and different magazine for short action ammo. Very easy to
change the bolt stop and use a 270 win tikka magazine for longer COALs. I load 143 ELX at 2.955 COAL using a
270 win magazine and the modified (Tikka factory long action) bolt stop.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.