260 Hunting Loads

Does anyone happen to know what the internal volume of the peterson brass is? Also, do you guys have any preference as far as brass goes? The pickings are pretty slim, i have found lapua, nosler, and hornady.

I started back in 1994 with a 6.5x308 wildcat known today as the 260 Rem. Starting with the Barnes 120gr X bullet & now the TSX/TTSX . Using IMR-4350 this rifle & a newer Savage model 16 260 Rem have accounted for numerous elk . All of my brass has been once fired Win or Rem 308 formed into 260. Both of my rifles shoot tiny groups . The Savage shoots almost one hole three shot groups with the Barnes 120. If you are mainly interested in deer the Barnes 100gr TTSX or the Nosler 100gr partition have proved they will take the largest muley with ease. An easy non finicky round to load for.

Never thought about necking up/down other brass, i do have quite a bit of 243, 7-08, and 308 brass. And, got some partitions, accubonds, and ttsx ordered for it, now the wait to see when it will ship

Any of those case's ( 243, 708, 308 ) are natural 260 brass. One pass thru a 260 FL sizer, load & shoot. No neck turning required even on the 308. Have taken a bunch of elk with 308 reformed cases. Absolutely no need to spend big bucks on brass for hunting. Keep in touch & we will make your 260 "perform".

Hespco, that sounds like a plan. glad to see someone from my neck of the woods. I'm actually going thru my brass box soon to see what i pull out, i believe that i have some new 243, 7-08 brass. Thanks for all the great info guys

Finally found bullets to order, so i have some lrab, regular AB, partitions, and some barnes headed my way. Figured with that selection, i would find something that works. Also found a pound of H4831 and RL22, so i believe that i am covered. Thanks for all the input guys

THough I have taken several elk with Barnes 120 gr bullets & the 260 I just wanted to pass on about an elk my friend took with his 260. He was shooting the Barnes 130gr TSX at about 2800 fps. A rag horn 4x4 bull at about 185 yds facing at an angle away from us. The bullet entered on the right side back by the last rib, It traveled forward thru a portion of the gut thru the rib cage & lodged about 12" to 14"up into the neck. Keep in mind that 2800 fps is no speed demon but 6.5's have shown over & over again their ability to maintain velocity. Just thought this might be of interest to you.

Finally received the bullets that i ordered 10 days ago, now to get out of confinement to go see how they shoot. Got 1 box ea of Partitions, AB's, and ABLR, now to see what recipe this particular rifle likes. Thanks for all the input.

Anyone had good luck with the 129 ABLR? Just got some and curious if i should save them for the 6.5CM or let the wife shoot them? Work has finally settled down enough to finally work on some loads for her and finally found some powders to try. Thanks in advance

I much prefer the 140 gr bullets for bigger critters in my .260. I get 2820 with 142 gr Nosler ABLR, 44 grs. RL-19, CCI BR-2 primer and Lapua brass. I have a SAKO 85 Grey Wolf and it shoots anything I've ever closed the bolt on good enough for hunting purposes. Was easy to tweak this load. With the BC on the NABLR its got long legs and solid performance down range on game.

Thanks for the input, i only bought the 129's because my wife drew an antelope tag and figured it would be perfect for that. No deer tags this yr but possibly a 2nd or 3rd season bull tag, then i will step up in the weight department for her. Hopefully people will chime in with info

Never shot the 129 but my sons 260 shoots the 130 accubonds perfectly. And they kill great

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.