257 weatherby

I've had 3 of them. The first was a Mark V synthetic that I gave to my son when he was 11, the second a 700 LSS and the current is a Laserguard.

Recoil with 100s is light, about the same as a 270 Win, or to put it another way not much of anything. The 115-120s might be compared to a 30-06 or 7 Rem with light bullets. In either case it is little enough that watching the hits through the scope is easy enough.

I used the .257 for deer culling to the tune of maybe 200 head, and from zero to 700 yards. A big thing thing with the .257 is bullet selection. Your best results will be had while you can hold onto some bullet fragmentation. Go too hard on the bullets and it'll remind you its just a 25 when the speed trails off. Use a soft, frangible bullet and you'll have a deadly killer for deer sized game in open country.

If the only rifle i owned was a 257 weatherby I'd be content, it'll do everything i need. I wish I'd kept the one I had.

Although it's a great hunting cartridge that I have an attachment to; when it comes to long range hunting the big 7s will eat it alive.

That I'm not sure of. I sure wish someone would actually make a higher bc bullet in the 130 gr. Range

https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/257/

Hammer actually makes a 128gr according to their web site you need a 1 in 7 twist to stabilize it. One of the issues with .257 calibers has been they started out with 1 in 12 twist which would only stabilize 100's changed them to 1 in 10 which will stabilize 120 gr flat base bullets and 117gr boat tails reliably. I think speer actually made a 125gr years back and it was discontinued.

Good luck and shoot straight all

That I'm not sure of. I sure wish someone would actually make a higher bc bullet in the 130 gr. Range

Joe, I don't mean to hijack this thread but your Wish has been realized. My company Blackjack Bullets has spent a lot of time, research, and development getting a true high performance 257 to market - the 131 gr ACE.

Early orders of the 131 ACE will begin shipping next week and the bulk of orders will begin shipping late July. Barrel Blanks will begin shipping throughout July as different mfgs orders come in. Lilja blanks are $45 off right now for July 4th and the X-Calibers are $91 off!

See our website and facebook page for more details and ballistics comparisons. There are a few threads on Long Range Hunting too.

25-06 light.jpg

Joe, I don't mean to hijack this thread but your Wish has been realized. My company Blackjack Bullets has spent a lot of time, research, and development getting a true high performance 257 to market - the 131 gr ACE.

Early orders of the 131 ACE will begin shipping next week and the bulk of orders will begin shipping late July. Barrel Blanks will begin shipping throughout July as different mfgs orders come in. Lilja blanks are $45 off right now for July 4th and the X-Calibers are $91 off!

See our website and facebook page for more details and ballistics comparisons. There are a few threads on Long Range Hunting too.

View attachment 101043

What kinda velocity are you guys seeing with a 26" tube? I'm assuming H1000 or retumbo or evendors h4831 are good to use?

What kinda velocity are you guys seeing with a 26" tube? I'm assuming H1000 or retumbo or evendors h4831 are good to use?

What cartridge are you referring to? In the 25x284 we used H4831SC up to 3202 fps in a 28" barrel.

In our 25x47 we used H4350 to 2950 fps with no pressure at all and went to 3030 fps with H4350 in the 25 Creedmoor in 26".

If you meant another cartridge please let me know.

After replying I noticed this was a 257 WBY post. We have not tested 257 WBY yet but given that a 25x284 can get 3202 fps using 54.5 grains of H4831SC and you can run up to 60-65+ grains in the 257 WBY, velocities over 3375 fps should be no problem. Plenty of speed.

After replying I noticed this was a 257 WBY post. We have not tested 257 WBY yet but given that a 25x284 can get 3202 fps using 54.5 grains of H4831SC and you can run up to 60-65+ grains in the 257 WBY, velocities over 3375 fps should be no problem. Plenty of speed.
Have you guys played with a 25-06?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.