257 Weatherby vs. 257 STW

BlackSS

From what I understand the STW will out perform the Weatherby, but at what cost?

How much of a performance difference is there?
Estimated barrel life for each round?
Recommended barrel length for each round?
Cost / availability of brass and dies?

I am looking to put together a 500 - 700 yard carry gun for medium game (deer, antelope, etc...).
Lightweight, likely sporter barrel. Would either of these rounds be comfortable at the range with no brake?

Also considering the 25-06, but I would like something a little "sexier" if it doesn't completely change what I'm after.

I don't think the STW is worth the overbore.
A better question would be why not go to a 6.5 cal, like a 6.5-06AI, or a 264 WM

IMHO, there is no reason to go .25cal. The bullets available in 6.5 or 6mm will make for better ballistics with better barrel life. The bullets are just not there in .25cal to take full advantage of cartridges with that much boiler room, a lot of energy is wasted due to low BC.

I have a 257 WM, I like it, but I have to agree with last 2 posts. Yes I would like a 6.5 of some type, better bullet selection

I shoot both all the time. My 257 wby's are mk5's with the wby freebore and there is very little difference between them and my two 257 stw's. 50-75 fps. I shoot the 100 grain bullets 3760 fps in my 257 wby and right at 2800 fps in my stw. Either is an awesome deer/antelope round for the range you are looking at.

I'm a fan of the 1/4 bores. I have shot deer with a 25-06 several times and none got away. Granted it was close quarters in think woods, but none the less, they were still dead. There are a bunch of guys on here that like the 1/4 bores and use them with great effectiveness to ranges of 700+ with the right bullet combo. Using an Accubond, SST, or the JLK (.500BC) will get you to that distance and with good authority. For deer, antelope, and varmint, you'll have no issues with killing at that distance. Berger has a decent BC bullet of .466. With the speed you could push it, it will due plenty of damage. If you want a 1/4 bore, go for it.

Tank

Blackss, Dont take me wrong, my 257 is a main backup for me, and main speed goat rifle, I luv it

Are you thinking that you will be able to have good life out of your barrel? How many do you estimate before you might see a decrease if barrel life? Or are you not that worried about it? ESP if you take it easy?

I went back and checked some loads. With a 100 grain bullet my 257 wby's hit in the 3700's and my STW's hit in the 3800's.

Brass cost is the same if you do not use wby brass.
Both do well in 26" barrels.
The STW is harder on barrels.
If you were going to use the heaviest 25 caliber bullets for long range shooting the STW would give you a little advantage.
The 257 wby is not bad without a brake. The STW has more recoil. I shoot both without a brake but the STW gets to be noticable.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.