257 Weatherby

Well I leave for Alabama to deer hunt Friday and offshore till Wednesday. So it will be 2 weeks before I can start playing with it. Thank yall for all the help.

MKG

IMO I would either go 115gr bullet from 3200-3300fps with higher bc than 110s that'll push the same speed or go with the 92gr hammer hunter and get it to the next node. 3500 fps or more

I am wondering if you have to crimp the Hammer Hunter? I have only be reloading little while so excuse this question if it is stupid.

Steve would know, but I doubt you would have to worry about a crimp. Pm him and he could give u all the info on it.
Its not a stupid question, I doubt anyone else will know the answer lol

I jave grown to really like the crimp. Our PDR design reduces contact in the bore so it also reduces contact in the case. I have yet to see any detriment to crimping. Not all cartriges need it but I can say confidently that it won't hurt anything.

Steve

......At high velocity though they can do some really weird things on impact such as flattening out like a quarter or half dollar and track off at obtuse angles instead of passing completely through.....

Amen!

At WBY velocities you might be better off shooting a monometal.

I think so, get all the velocity you bought it for!

I jave grown to really like the crimp. Our PDR design reduces contact in the bore so it also reduces contact in the case. I have yet to see any detriment to crimping. Not all cartriges need it but I can say confidently that it won't hurt anything.

Steve
With a light crimp I've seen nothing but good results or at the very worst neutral results.

I've gotten to where I do it pretty much on everything just to ensure I get uniform neck tension on everything.

With lead core bullets you can however overdo it enough to affect stability especially on non cannelure bullets or bullets not properly seated to the cannelure.

Tried quite a few bullets and powders in my 257 and I would say the Sierra 117 SBT with a load of RL-22 combined the best accuracy along with good vel, ( 3320 ft/sec). As far as vel is concerned RL-26 was good, (3375 ft/sec...24" barrel) but my accuracy wasn't great. I must say I only done a very limited test. RL-33 gave me the highest vel (3389 ft/sec) but the load was highly compressed and accuracy wasn't good. I believe this powder is a tad to slow for this chambering JMO. Using the discontinued Hornady 120 Interlock with a max load of Retumbo (3349 ft/sec) gave great accuracy and good velocity, but sadly it is no longer avalible. All of these loads used Weatherby brass and a Fed215 primer.

I think rl33 is just the right speed for the longer .257 tubes like mine. At 28" I think it gives enough time to burn. Like you said prob a bit slow for a 24"

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.