257 Weatherby rebarrel

one other thing with zero disrespect intended.you said it fouls badly.are you sure your cleaning methods are working,did it ever shoot better new.does it have a factory weatherby trigger and pull weight.this and many other things can cause accuracy issues,bedding tight rings and mounts.anyway jon will hook you up,last ? do you hand load or shoot factory.

I have a weatherby backcountry 2.0 in 257 Wby and hate how it shoots. I love how it feels and its so nice to have a lightweight option to carry deer hunting.
Copper buildup and and large groups leave a lot to be desired. Considering rebarreling it with a bartlein 2B. Do you think the 2B will be too much weight? Should I get it fluted? Bartlein will not flute a 2B, but I have heard of people doing it.
Looking for barrel suggestions and have been leaning towards a 1:8 Bartlein 2B. Just worried about weight. The new barrel doesn't have to be as small as the pencil thin factory barrel, but I really want to keep close to stay light and easy to handle like it is now. Should I go smaller than a 2B? Bartlein doesnt offer smaller in stainless options and I am also not sure what will fit in the Peak 44 stock. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks JC
What kind of groups are you getting? I shoot an older 257 bee and get 1/2" groups with handloads.

lee i am assuming your shooting a factory weatherby rifle?.if so what model.dependent on bullets and different weights and now only shooting copper bullets mt 7 1/2 lb riflei i have shot groups in the zeros to 1/4" for 3 shots at 100 yards.but i have a non weatherby standard freebore.it is shorter by quite a bit.so factory is a no go in anyway.lastly if your getting honest 1/2" groups out of it you are living the dream.that is fabulous shooting,assuming its a 1/10 twist rate maybe shooting 100 grainers or close

jm.may i ask you what size groups you are getting,you must realize that a factory rifle bare weight less than 6 lbs is not going so shoot like a 8 lb or heavier rifle.as stated pull weight on the trigger if factory is minimum 4 lbs.now criterion barrels which wby uses i believe and your contour barrel are overall weight are not going to be inherently accurate.why i ask what size groups are or were you getting.

lee i am assuming your shooting a factory weatherby rifle?.if so what model.dependent on bullets and different weights and now only shooting copper bullets mt 7 1/2 lb riflei i have shot groups in the zeros to 1/4" for 3 shots at 100 yards.but i have a non weatherby standard freebore.it is shorter by quite a bit.so factory is a no go in anyway.lastly if your getting honest 1/2" groups out of it you are living the dream.that is fabulous shooting,assuming its a 1/10 twist rate maybe shooting 100 grainers or close
I shoot a vanguard sub moa and yes I shoot 100 gr Barnes tsx over 72 gr of 7828 ssc and not sure if the twist without looking.

lee,thanks for responding.sure its a 1/10 twist as 40 years ago i owned mt 1st of several i owned for a few years.also owned a 240,270 and 300.eventually sold all as i got into the custom built game.that 100 gr barnes is a death nell on many types of game,years ago when i started hunting we didnt have the marvelous bullets like today for any 25 bore.i have a custom 240 which is the only weatherby with a zero freebore,then my custom 257 which i have shot many barnes ttsx out of.just a very mild recoiling lazer.but as stated very short freebore.anyway enjoy that 257 bee with those barnes.will tell you this i lived in pa for many years and mysely and 2 friends built a hunting camp up in the northern mountains,shot a 458 lb black bear at about 80 yds with my original 257 went 25 yards straight downhill and piled up.that with a light nosler partition.i dont know the distances you tend to shoot and what type of country,but look at the hammers in 25 then call them and ask them there recommendation.the shock hammers are great for woods hunting and strecthing out a little.the hammer hunters are better at longer distance.they are a awesome bullet in my opinion.great shooting and hunting to you.

lee.i would with your 1/10 twist try the 98 gr hammer shock hammers and the new 95 gr hammer hunter tipped.just call and speak to them if you decide to try them,they will help out with load data,good people.

My 1st 257bee barrel was a series 1 box stock base series vanguard. With handloads it would shoot Berger 115gr .75moa or better. After it shot so nice I put a new trigger in it and eventually once the barrel burned out I redid the whole gun to a semi-custom 257 weatherby CF barrel.

lee.i would with your 1/10 twist try the 98 gr hammer shock hammers and the new 95 gr hammer hunter tipped.just call and speak to them if you decide to try them,they will help out with load data,good people.
At one point I will I have the projectiles sitting in the cabinet already but I need to rebarrel that rifle and after I get around to doing it I will try out Hammers.