257 Weatherby rebarrel

jmcarrol

I have a weatherby backcountry 2.0 in 257 Wby and hate how it shoots. I love how it feels and its so nice to have a lightweight option to carry deer hunting.
Copper buildup and and large groups leave a lot to be desired. Considering rebarreling it with a bartlein 2B. Do you think the 2B will be too much weight? Should I get it fluted? Bartlein will not flute a 2B, but I have heard of people doing it.
Looking for barrel suggestions and have been leaning towards a 1:8 Bartlein 2B. Just worried about weight. The new barrel doesn't have to be as small as the pencil thin factory barrel, but I really want to keep close to stay light and easy to handle like it is now. Should I go smaller than a 2B? Bartlein doesnt offer smaller in stainless options and I am also not sure what will fit in the Peak 44 stock. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks JC

Crux will flute a
I have a weatherby backcountry 2.0 in 257 Wby and hate how it shoots. I love how it feels and its so nice to have a lightweight option to carry deer hunting.
Copper buildup and and large groups leave a lot to be desired. Considering rebarreling it with a bartlein 2B. Do you think the 2B will be too much weight? Should I get it fluted? Bartlein will not flute a 2B, but I have heard of people doing it.
Looking for barrel suggestions and have been leaning towards a 1:8 Bartlein 2B. Just worried about weight. The new barrel doesn't have to be as small as the pencil thin factory barrel, but I really want to keep close to stay light and easy to handle like it is now. Should I go smaller than a 2B? Bartlein doesnt offer smaller in stainless options and I am also not sure what will fit in the Peak 44 stock. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks JC
Brux will flute a #3 and thats the same as a 2b Bart

Contact Peak 44 directly and ask them what contour they recommend for your specific stock and use.

Unless you plan to shoot lighter bullets maybe see if you can get a 1:7 or 1:7.5 twist to get more heavy bullet options. My 257 is now a 1:7 twist and loves 128gr Hammer Hunters. I would have tried the 125gr Hammer HHT but it wasn't out when I started load development, and the development went really well for the 128gr so I am not going to mess with it. This is a 500 yard group.

Attachments

• 20221230_095300.jpg
    20221230_095300.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 41
Lilja duplicates lots of factory barrel contours and have no issue making light contours. Might be worth a call to them to see if they'll just duplicate what you've got. FWIW, I've got 3 Lilja barrels that are duplicates of the Kimber Montana bbl contour (which is pretty light) and they all shoot quite well.

I also have a 257Wby on a #3 Lilja I had built in early '08 that shoots very well also. Mine is 1:10 3-groove but I looked @ their site and they'll go as fast as 1:7 in .257 diameter now.

Unless you plan to shoot lighter bullets maybe see if you can get a 1:7 or 1:7.5 twist to get more heavy bullet options. My 257 is now a 1:7 twist and loves 128gr Hammer Hunters. I would have tried the 125gr Hammer HHT but it wasn't out when I started load development, and the development went really well for the 128gr so I am not going to mess with it. This is a 500 yard group.

What velocity are you getting with the 128HH?

Lilja duplicates lots of factory barrel contours and have no issue making light contours. Might be worth a call to them to see if they'll just duplicate what you've got. FWIW, I've got 3 Lilja barrels that are duplicates of the Kimber Montana bbl contour (which is pretty light) and they all shoot quite well.

I also have a 257Wby on a #3 Lilja I had built in early '08 that shoots very well also. Mine is 1:10 3-groove but I looked @ their site and they'll go as fast as 1:7 in .257 diameter now.
Lilja makes excellent barrels. I have two 3Gs - 1:8" in .270 AI and 1:9" in .30 LARA - and I am very pleased with them. My .257 WBY has a 22" 1:7" McGowen (suppressed) and propels the 145 Black Hole bullets at 3000 FPS+, but I am still playing around with powders I already have opened.

What velocity are you getting with 128grain Hammer Hunters?

I rebarreled my .257 to a 7mm PRC. Picking it up this week. I had a bartlein on it that duped a rem magnum sporter. Gave that to my son to replace his factory barrel on his rem 700 cdl sf.

Personally, I am done with the .257 bee.

I believe Hart will copy a factory taper and make it whatever twist you would like. I have a factory 24 inch Thin Krieger Fluted S/S barrel on my Weatherby Ultralight, in 270 Win. I would also make a call to Weatherby just to see if they will sell you a factory new barrel, which I believe is made for them by Krieger.

I'm going to go with Beanland with a match to the factory contour so I know it's gonna be right. Now I just need to decide twist.

jon will hook you up.he knows whats up.also a bartlien 2b is 6 ounces heavier than a brux #3.#4 brux more comparable.i am assuming since its a lighter weight carry rifle balance is very important.25 bore does not need a heavier contour than necessary,yet i am assuming you are using the same stock.so options are limited.i own a custom built 257 bee.i would never in a 25 bore lighter weight rifle go heavier than a 3 lb barrel.extra ounces add up and balance is critical.as far as accuracy improving with a custom barrel yes.but i dont know if jon will blueprint a wby action.i doubt it.anyway yes for sure a lighter barrel.