257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag

If you were going to do a .264, a 7 or 7.5 twist would be the way to go, and use the 156 Berger. I shoot them in a .264 wm with great success and they do great, especially way out there.

However, being that your max is 400 yards and only on deer.....

I would just stick with what you got, since you are set up for it. Inside 400 yards, and especially just on deer....there is nothing to gain that is needed. I would get an 8 twist for the 257 and shoot the lighter hammer bullets as fast as possible. Should be able to get nearly 400 yards point blank out of it, or maybe only have to hold/dial past 350. 400 yards an in, having a flat shooting rifle is helpfull. Past that out to the rifles max, that is where high bc comes into play.

Another vote for the .264 WM. I built mine with 1:7" 26" 5R to propel the 156 Berger. Even with 400 yards as max range or deer only hunting, "I" would still build it as such ... but that's just me.

I'm replacing the barrel on my 257 Bee Mark V. Been pondering different options like a 6.5-257 bee or fast twist 257 barrel for 131 blackjack bullets.
Then I came across the 264 wm. Has the preferred shoulder-not double radius-and a huge selection of bullets (only time I'll ever thank the 6.5cm).
I don't have any real problems with the 257 and have some competition dies for it. Only use the gun for deer at 400 or less. Have an amazing 308 already, so this isn't life or death.
Curious what you all would do in this scenario.
257 with a 8,9,10 twist?
264 with a 8,9 twist?
6.5/300 ? If you want a change, I wouldn't ruin a Mark V by putting a Winchester on it!........YUCK!.....

Everyone complains about bullet selection with a 257 rifle. However I would never take a 264 over the 257. I have killed varmits to bison with a 25-06 Ackley Improved. This includes many, many elk through the years. I would take the 257 Bee without hesitation. Load a 100 grain Partition & watch them drop!
Thanks, Kirk

After reading all that has been said so far, I'll throw this into the mix : If you want a huge bullet selection, go with a 6.5mm. If you can live with a somewhat limited selection of high-BC bullets, a .257 on some large-capacity case would do the trick. I think that the bullet selection in .257" ( and in .277", for that matter ) is about to blossom. It is said that nature always fills a vacuum, and there is a perceived gap in both of these diameters. The bullet manufacturers are probably going to start filling those gaps, as soon as they can tool up for it. Long, heavy-for-caliber, high-BC bullets are all the rage right now, and if they don't rise to the occasion, they are leaving a lot of money on the table. I think that you could just pick a diameter you like, chamber a fast-twist barrel for an appropriate case capacity to generate the velocity you want to push your long & heavy, high-BC bullet, and in a year or two the bullet selection for all of these diameters will look pretty much like it does right now for the .264's.

I've been hunting with a 264 WM since 1974. It is my go to rifle for almost all my hunting. I've shot 3 Dall sheep with it (2 over 500 yards), Alaska moose, caribou, mule deer, a ton of whitetails, and pronghorns. All dropped with one shot. I only shoot the 140 grain bullets. It has a 9" twist barrel, which makes most of the high BC bullets off limits. The only thing I would change is to go with an 8" twist barrel to use the high BC bullets. It's my one and done rifle for hunting.

I have been hunting with a 257roy for 30 years. It was my hands down favorite hunting round. Then when I started shooting 1000 yard matched I found the 6.5 and 7mm bullets have the best BC and variety. So I decided to build a 6.5-257roy and boy is it great. Then on a short action I had I built a 6.5saum. They both shoot fantastic and carry extra energy a lot farther than the 257roy. I believe the double radius shoulder and long neck on the 257 case is much better on throats than the 264winmag. I run a bore rider throat on all my 6.5s and the speed and accuracy are great. If I only shot to 400 yards I would just use one of my 3 257roys and be happy.
I would still use a 1-10 twist. I shoot 110 Bibbs in all of mine and the ones I built for friends. I use .525 in my ballistic app and it works perfect all the way to 1000 yards.
It's always a fun problem when you can build anything you want. Pick any of the mentioned rounds from this thread and you won't be sorry.
Shep

Since you already have the cases, dies and bullets i would stick with the 257 weatherby. The next barrel obviously would need to be a fast twist for the new generation of bullets to come onto the scene. That caliber was a favorite of Ken Waters, and if he liked it that would be enough evidence enough for me.

morning, apples and oranges, both r very good rounds. some
say the 264win. has a better choice of bullets.
only takes 1-1 good grouping bullet. I have 2 wbees both customs.
1 likes the 100gr. TTSX-1 likes the accu-bonds. they both
kill expeditely sp.. I have a custom 6.5rem. mag. for
not using my reloading experience with reloading I should
have made a 264AI mag. hind site is somes stinky
justme gbot tum

Either way make sure you get the throats done right. The 257roy has too much and the 264winnie has too little. I throat all my 257roys with a throat that fits my bullet so it can touch and still fit the mag. I haven't seen any problem shooting regular wby factory in them. I have been hunting with some factory loads I got at a bargain. 120 grain partitions are going 3350 from my 26 in Lawton barrel. Shoots these 3/8 5 shots. I bought them for the brass because I paid 20 bucks a box. They shot so good I just hunt with them. I shoot a ton of the 110 Bibbs too. Your 700 has a long box under it and even longer with a simple mod and a Wyatt's box. Have the 264winnie throated long for your box and it will easily beat book velocities which are really anemic for this round. 3200 to 3300 can be had with 140 class bullets.
Since you are getting a new barrel just do it right and you will like it a lot more.
Shep

I am not going to lie to you.. I like both cartridges, my personal choice would be the 264 Win Mag with a 1:8" twist barrel. I would use a 1:7" barrel rather than the 1:8" if I had my choice. The 264 Win is much more versatile and would take you out to 800 or more. also it would be good for Elk. the Berger 140+ VLD hunters would make great use of the 1:8" or 1:7" twists. Monoliths usually love the fastest twists you can push them through. okay back to eating popcorn.

Irrelevant at 400 yards
257 with factory twist since you wont need bc or if you want to run a wildcat a
6.5-257 will use your existing brass

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.