257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag

Just throwing this out again
Really a neat cartridge: arguably what should have been released over the 6.5-300.
127 lrx @ 3450 makes for a dandy 400 yard mpbr setup
( 143 eld-x pictured)

The only question is: is it worth the effort? Necking up/down the case is no big deal. How about the dies? Can I get away with a new bushing and still use my body die?

The only question is: is it worth the effort? Necking up/down the case is no big deal. How about the dies? Can I get away with a new bushing and still use my body die?
Not sure thats out of my league. Maybe one of the more experienced wildcatters can chime in.
I bought the set from midway on sale, its the easiest "wildcat" I've ever tinkered with
Lube, size, load and shoot. No fireforming to futz with.

You have to love the long neck on the 6.5-257wby. If you set the throat for the 140 class bullets so the bearing surface is just up in the neck a little you can still put the 130 class bullets to the rifling. And long necks help with throat erosion.
And you can run a 257 case or the 270 case to see what neck thickness works out better for you.
Shep

Is your 270wsm on a short or long action? If it's a short action you can do a 6.5saum and be close in speed.
Shep

Yes, if you have a body die larger than a 257.

The 6.5-257 die set that I have (also Redding) wasn't bored out enough and it pushes down the neck of the case when seating, squashing the shoulder. For a while I thought that I'd over-annealed the brass, but eventually figured it out.

Now I use my 7mm neck bushing die with the correct size bushing and my 7mm body die to size the cases. The 7mm seating die with micrometer works perfectly for that part of the job.

If you have 257 dies, you may have to enlarge them. Thankfully I have plenty of 7mm Wby dies on hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.