257 weatherby mag question

Moose hunter

What do you guys think of this calliber? Im thinking of buying a mark v accumark 257 in Left hand. I would mainly use this for varmints and deer. For moose i will still use my 3oo win mag. What do you think of this calliber as a long range round. Im not sure if its worth the extra for the sub moa rifle. The regular 257 from what people have said are shooting pretty awesome. I have read some guys shooting elk with a 257. I think its a little light but dont know??

Thanks.:)

Well I have a .257wby custom; it spits 100gr barnes xbt's at 3700fps, into one hole at 100 yds. love it. I would not hesitate to use on elk, but only with barnes bullets!!! I have yet to recover a bullet from any deer...

I really like the speed of this caliber.

definatly not a Long range caliber, but i can bang steel @ 800 yds with mine, and head shot a 5x5 mulie at 350, my buddy said it was at least 400yds. So plenty good imo.

If I remember right, one of the last hunting mags, the author said it was his fav deer caliber...I agree.

I love my Accumark in 257Wby so much I had to buy another one so my son would let me shoot mine. I also use mine for all manner of varmints to deer. 75 grain V-Max's for game up to 2 pounds then 100 grain Ballistic tips or Seirra Game Kings for the bigger varmints and 100 grain Partitions for deer or game animals. Those two led to another one in 300Wby. I would like to own at least one Accumark in each of the Weatherby calibers.

It is a great deer rifle. I have had one in my arsenal for years and just bought my son one for deer and antelope. It will take elk but not the power for long range. Deer and antelope out to 500 or so it is great. Put a muzzle break on his and like shooting a 22-250. Just a loud one. That was an old hunting buddy of mine, John Barsness, who just had the good article about the 257 wby in one of the magazines. Montana native and a great guy.

257 Wby.

I had one in the Wby. light weight rifle. I got rid of it, I was disappointed in the rifle's accuracy. It would group just under 2 inches with every load I could come up with. The rifle seemed to be very finicky. For such an expensive factory rifle, I expected a bit more. The trigger was also lacking. If anydody needs any Wby. dies, I have 257, 7mm, and 340 dies to sell. All three are used, but like new. Tom.

I personally think that the weatherbys are crap. Sorry. I know some will hate me for all times for that but I cant be everybodys friend. We have a 257 WBY in an sub moa model and I cant tell you how it does on game because we never use it. it shoots allright but we have nicer rifles that shoot better and have more energy that it so it just looks good in he cabinet now. I have thought of getting a 257 wby made just I dont like factory weatherby rifles. I guess I cant say that. My dad does have a 416 in a lazermark that is pretty nice but we never really shoot it. His accumarks and vanguards never leave the gun vault now adays though. The 257 wby for a cartridge is good though.

you interested in selling that sub moa rifle?

I shoot one of my 257 WBY at almost everything. I have killed nilgai and elk with them. I stop shooting at about 500 yards though due to the light bullets.

On whitetail out to 200 yards and maybe even 300 yards I do not own a rifle that will flop a deer like the 257 will with either 100gr spire points or 110gr accubonds. That inlcudes my 338 Edge, 300 WBY's etc.

It is my #1 all time fav. round and if put to a test I would shoot any animal on earth with it, I would just be careful about my shot placement.

All mine are accurate. There is a review on my new one I built on a Remmy in the product reviews if you care to see it.

Screech,

email me at [email protected] if you are interested in sellng that hunk of junk 257.

The 257 WBY was Roy's favorite. I'm still unsure of everbodies dislike in Weatherby's:confused: They are great hunting rifles. I know more accurate rifle's can be built , but there are some great shooting rifles out there. They're not the cheapest, but I've got every penny's worth out of mine.

257 Weatherby

Mine is a 700LH, Shilen barrel put on by GA Precision--shoots knots with 100gr Nosler Part. at 3650. Took it to New Zealand for stag(300 meters-dropped in its tracks) and tahr(250 meters, dropped like a rock) in 04 and Namibia and S. Africa for a week in each and took a long list with one-shot each. Only the blue Wildebeest took two shots---bad side, I shot thru a springbok so quickly it did not even react--200 m away--and it took another shot. Took a doe for the pot in GA and no reaction, just a trot for 20 yds and collapsed. Get one, you will like it. Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.