Effective Range of 257 Weatherby mag.

At round count 600 or so the VLDs began diverge from the aiming point. I had some that were well over a foot to right and low at 100 yds. Some made shotgun holes in paper. The VLDs were torn up by the rough throat. I just had too much fun shooting this rifle at varmints and paper. Should have copied the other guys and only used it for big game. But what fun would that be?

My hawkeye borescope shows horrible cracking/crazing with some large longitudinal fissures! It isn't much fun to clean up either. Amazingly it still shoots 1/3 MOA with over 750 rounds through it. Now it doesn't buck crosswinds like it once did. Eventually I'll pull that beautiful #5 fluted 28" barrel and have Dan Pederson rebore/rifle it to a 7mm (approx $225) The cool thing is I will only have to clean up the chamber with the 7mm/375 Ruger reamer, all else will remain the same.

I will eventually build another 257 by then Berger should have a 115 hybrid hunting bullet, hopefully the elite version which should have a higher BC than the VLD!

Another kill, coyote last evening at 285yds in the spotlight. Bullet hit exactly wher I was aiming, would have been very little pelt damage from the 100gr TTSX if I hadn't hit the offside shoulder, love this round and this bullet. Anything inside 400 yds, you just put it on em and squeeze........death ray.

Put one up for my 257WM at 427yds. Shot a mouflon ram at our lease this past wknd. Was slinging 110gr Hornady Interbonds down the pipe. Very pleased

jrg

I've got some range pics that some of you's might be interested in seeing for curiosity sake** The steel is only mild-steel, not hardened or anything fancy (hence the denting severity)

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

The one with the un-marked, painted-over impacts are also 264 vs 257.. 264 140g vld, 257 115 vld. Those impacts were on a 1/2" plate right about 600 yards if I recall...

The picture with the white paint-marker 264/257 comparison was shot at 410 yards.. same 140 & 115 vld's only that plate is a 3/4" thickness.

Finally that pic showing the "Dolly Partons" on the reverse side of the plate was set at 565 or there-abouts.. the impacts/groups were made with that same 264 from the other two pics, and actually (the group on the far-right/center.. most purtruded) was made with a lazz-7mm.. The 257 did not indent what-so-ever that-time, merely burnt paint in-front**

...I wanna be clear, I'm not knocking 257. Just showing comparison. I'm sure many will find it interesting** The light 115's (257 heaviest) simply don't pack the punch alot of guys seem to believe, even with their rocket-speed. The comparison shows exactly the 257 vs 264 argument that alot (also) seem to think are such comparable calibres, in which they really are obviously-not.

Rooster

Rooster,
Good read, thanks. Hey could you state what the velocity's on both the bullets were? And what the barrel lenght you used on each?
Actually I'm a big fan of both the 257 Wby and the 264 Win Mag.
Cheers

Rooster,
Good read, thanks. Hey could you state what the velocity's on both the bullets were? And what the barrel lenght you used on each?
Actually I'm a big fan of both the 257 Wby and the 264 Win Mag.
Cheers

Both rifles have 26" barrels.. both set up for hunting. 264 is my rifle & shoots a 3133avg.. The 257 is actually a buddies, weatherby rifle, and was supposed-to be in the 3400 range.. I can't recall exactly what my chrony was giving us though, and can't actually check the papers, I sent them with him for his-own reference. But for the record, it was right in-there**

His barrel is almost-new, mine is actually nearing the need for replacing.. perfectly clean, my barrel still gives a guy half inch at a hundred, but once fouled she'll open up pretty quick...
I'm gonna attach a complete-pic of that 3/4" plate that was set at 410. It's cut into exactly a 12" circle.. made 'em that way to mimmick an average sized kill-zone on an animal... and those groups were shot in a lightly-gusting 5-10mph wind, right to left.

**couple other calibres we were shooting that-day are marked there too.. 25-06 put one marker on there, and one of the Lazz 7mm's my brother and I shoot. Wanted to start that fresh plate in a way we could clearly show the differences some of our rifles have between 'em... and open a few eye's it certainly did! A person can play with computer charts and programs of all kinds for days on end and "assume" where your bullet is supposed-to be lethal to.. but when you can make it a visual thing, sometimes you may end-up re-thinking things.

The second pic just shows the bump that big-7mm left on the back-side.. if it was 1/2" I'm sure it would've been a pss-through! I figured I'd add it for those that might like to see**

IMG_0393.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Both rifles have 26" barrels.. both set up for hunting. 264 is my rifle & shoots a 3133avg.. The 257 is actually a buddies, weatherby rifle, and was supposed-to be in the 3400 range.. I can't recall exactly what my chrony was giving us though, and can't actually check the papers, I sent them with him for his-own reference. But for the record, it was right in-there**

His barrel is almost-new, mine is actually nearing the need for replacing.. perfectly clean, my barrel still gives a guy half inch at a hundred, but once fouled she'll open up pretty quick...
I'm gonna attach a complete-pic of that 3/4" plate that was set at 410. It's cut into exactly a 12" circle.. made 'em that way to mimmick an average sized kill-zone on an animal... and those groups were shot in a lightly-gusting 5-10mph wind, right to left.

**couple other calibres we were shooting that-day are marked there too.. 25-06 put one marker on there, and one of the Lazz 7mm's my brother and I shoot. Wanted to start that fresh plate in a way we could clearly show the differences some of our rifles have between 'em... and open a few eye's it certainly did! A person can play with computer charts and programs of all kinds for days on end and "assume" where your bullet is supposed-to be lethal to.. but when you can make it a visual thing, sometimes you may end-up re-thinking things.

The second pic just shows the bump that big-7mm left on the back-side.. if it was 1/2" I'm sure it would've been a pss-through! I figured I'd add it for those that might like to see**

View attachment 15337

Thanks for the up date... There is no denying the .264 WM with a 140gr bullet is a long range game hitter; I just thought the .257 Wby would've made a better showing at 600 yards. It would appear that the .257 Wby need more velocity to stay with the .264 WM heavier bullets. It looks like the .264 WM is about flat out for that bullet weight, as is the .257 Wby in most loading manuals… with that said; I think the .257 Wby (might?) have a little more left in its load profile which could be capitalized on. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.
Thanks again. Good read.
Cheers

Love the photos comparing the 264, 257, 25-06, and the 7.21. I shoot 115 grain 25wssm and have had great success with 11 clean kills over 400 and a best of 688 yards on whitetails. I have to admit I felt undergunned looking at the pics, but the truth is my little 25wssm is plenty to effectively kill whitetails to at least 600 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.