.257 Weatherby Mag

600 BP is right on. It is one of our favorite go to rifles for deer and antelope. Accuracy is outstanding with the 100 grain ttsx at near 3800 fps. My son has shot 2.5" groups at 600 yards with it. We have taken several antelope and deer in the 500-600 yard range and the most important thing is when you hit them with the 257 weatherby they go down quick.

I know this conversation is a week or so old but I was wondering what load is it you use to get those groups at such a distance?
I just purchased a 257 and was going to use that bullet.
Thanks for your input.

I am 2000 miles from my load notes but pretty sure it is 75.5 grains Magpro with a cci 250 primer. We have shot many groups in the 1.5" range at 400 yards with this load. It has taken numerous animals all one shot and down.

Standard MK 5 wby 26" barrel bought at Cabelas off the used gun rack. Freefloated the barrel that had a lot of pressure on it, bedded the action and adjusted the trigger. It is one of the best shooters we have. 100 grain Barnes ttsx around 3800 fps with extreme accuracy.

I know the gun manager there well and he said he took it on a trade in from a guy who said it wouldn't shoot accurately. I saw the pressure on the barrel and guessed the problem and got the rifle cheap.

I am 2000 miles from my load notes but pretty sure it is 75.5 grains Magpro with a cci 250 primer. We have shot many groups in the 1.5" range at 400 yards with this load. It has taken numerous animals all one shot and down.
I'm glad you posted this LTLR. I knew you liked Magpro in your .257 Wby and I've been meaning to PM you and ask how many grains you use. I'm getting tired of the temp sensitivity of RL22.

Between my son and I, my .257 Wby with 100gr TSXs have shot two whitetails, 4 mulies, 4 antelope, a bear and two coyotes between 75 and 660 yards. All of them dropped on the spot. Fun caliber:).

I've formed 7mmRM and .264RM brass by simplely running it through my .257 die. The necks are a bit shorter but it's cheaper and I get exellent accuracy with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.