.257 Wby --> .25-06 AI

I happen to recall a fellow fire forming ackley 260 brass, lapua cases, using bullseye and cream of wheat, the funny thing about it is he had to remove those donuts befor loading, just after blowing breakfast out his barrel, funny I never see them on my 6.5x284 35* 7mm mag 25* 22-250 28* 250 savage 26*, well I think you get the point wiseass, yes with ackleys lack of body taper is easier to size cases but its not easier on the shoulders, my dies are just fine, and if your worried about case life maybe you should use some bushing neck sizers and leave the rest of the case alone!

you just answered the problem in your reply. The doghnut dosn't just come about over night. The difference between a 35 degree shoulder and a 40 degree shoulder would be nill if any at all. Sometimes it's cause by dies overworking the brass just like it can for firing cases. When you push a case thru a die the excessive metal has to go someplace. If your using a very tight die or bushing it will simply push the metal backwards into the shoulder area. But is also cause by brass flow going the otherway. As I said I shoot several 40 degree cases and get about ten firings before ever seeing a sign of the doughnut. To be exact, with a 40 degree shoulder I rarely trim cases because the brass flow is not there like a 25 degree case.

By the way there is no such thing as a 260 Ackley. Never has and never will be as he was dead long before the round came about. Ackley also has said that the .308 case was not worth the time to improve more than once, and that's where the 260 case evolved from.
gary

For some reason the Ackley debate will never end. There are those who have built them recently and can't believe their good fortune, and those who still believe that the last word on cartridge design occurred 40 years ago.

I wonder if you would want 1971 medicinal techniques operating on your brain tumor today?

Times change/ systems change and the 25-06 Ackley is a monster with a 26" + barrel and less than 65 grains of powder. Some 257 weatherby loads are running 75 grains. You think there might be something to an extra 15% powder capacity? The weatherby doesn't ouperform the AI by 15%.

So in closing- let the posts about ackley be reserved for those of us that want to use theirs more and develop other loads. If you hate them that much, Elmer Keith called and wants you back in the 35 whelan forum conversation.

Hate to be snarky, but I want to learn about reloading this cartridge.

i got a 2506 ai getting ready to come out of the smiths. 27 1/4 kreiger 10 twist,going to be my new groundhog killer i hope.

i got a 2506 ai getting ready to come out of the smiths. 27 1/4 kreiger 10 twist,going to be my new groundhog killer i hope.

Nice! Let us know what kinda loads that one likes. My smitty should have mine done in early Feb. sometime. Gonna have a 27 inch Lilja 10 twist.

-- gr8whyt

Times change/ systems change and the 25-06 Ackley is a monster with a 26" + barrel and less than 65 grains of powder. Some 257 weatherby loads are running 75 grains. You think there might be something to an extra 15% powder capacity? The weatherby doesn't ouperform the AI by 15%.

Run some 142 grain VLDs down your barrel and let us know how being down 15% less powder works out.

G8rwhyt

My comment was directed to the misinformation on long range hunting with a 257 caliber rifle that was posted by Big Jake Duke.

You will be happy with your rifle and I do not have any problem with you building what you want. I shot a 25-06 in 1-10 twist for several years and it is really a great caliber but lacks good high BC bullets and long range ability.

The Wildcat 130 gr and 142 gr VLDs solve the problem and barrels can be found in 1-8 twist so that long range is feasible with the 257 calibers. Once you go to slow powders and long barrels the 257 Wby, 257 STW begin to realize their potential. Kirby Allen builds a 257 AM on a RUM case which requires fast twist, slow powders and heavy for caliber high BC bullets.

The world slowly changes and a person can continue to evolve or stay a dinosaur.

what kind of twist recommend for 130's?

I have a 1-8 twist. I sent some to a guy with a 25-06 in 1-10 twist for him to try but he never told me how they worked. I can stabilize the 142s and they are accurate but I only purchased 200 of them so I use the 130s being as I have a lot of them.

I have a minimum SAAMI chamber with target leade and have them seated right at jam.

To put it in context, a 130 WC in 257 is equivalent to the 115 Berger in 243 and the 140 Berger in 264. Somewhere on this forum about a year ago I posted a set of groups that I shot a month apart to demonstrate the repeatability of the accuracy of the rifle and bullet.

I have a 1-8 twist. I sent some to a guy with a 25-06 in 1-10 twist for him to try but he never told me how they worked. I can stabilize the 142s and they are accurate but I only purchased 200 of them so I use the 130s being as I have a lot of them.

I have a minimum SAAMI chamber with target leade and have them seated right at jam.

To put it in context, a 130 WC in 257 is equivalent to the 115 Berger in 243 and the 140 Berger in 264. Somewhere on this forum about a year ago I posted a set of groups that I shot a month apart to demonstrate the repeatability of the accuracy of the rifle and bullet.

My 25-06AI is as stated before a 26" Sendero 1-10. It loves the 125 Wildcat & I have no doubt
that the 130 would be fine. I would bet that the 142 would require a 1-8 twist & no doubt a bigger case would be desired. I will leave those situations for my 264WM & 140 Bergers. A VLD
0f 150-160 gr. I bet would be the ticket, maybe WC will get around to that.

For Varmits & Deer my 25-06AI has been very nice with the Wildcat 125 @ 3250 or the 115BT @
3350 thou.

The world slowly changes and a person can continue to evolve or stay a dinosaur.

Just because someone wants to shoot a cartridge that is decades old like an Ackley (or for that matter Roy Weatherby's favorite .257 Wby - circa 1944) doesn't make them a dinosaur.

Lots of sheep are following the siren song of the short magnums. Still more are shooting very heavy bullets in impossibly large cases like the 338 RUM, or the like, needing muzzle brakes to keep them from causing permanent damage to themselves. Want some real fun? Unscrew that brake and spin a few rounds down the pipe of that Ultra-ultra Mag. Now that's FUN! Just yesterday fiftydriver said he had built two new reamers for new cartridges based on the 50BMG shooting 45 and 416 caliber bullets (IIRC). Certainly interesting stuff, but it isn't for my tastes.

Yep, times are a changing! Still I believe at least one or two major manufacturers are this year chambering new rifles in .300 H&H. Boy, wait till the kids get a look at that thing. Talk about old school! Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

So, call me a dinosaur. Beats being a sheep.

-- gr8whyt

For Varmits & Deer my 25-06AI has been very nice with the Wildcat 125 @ 3250 or the 115BT @
3350 thou.

Hey Nomo, care to share what powder and weight your using with the 115BT to get 3350? Std primer? Sounds like something deer and antelope fear.

-- gr8whyt

The dinosaur remark was not referring to you. I was more referring to myself and the things I have learned from others on this forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.