25-06 ai

If only there was a 25 Sherman option to give a little more than the 26/06AI...

You can go with the 25 Gibbs and use 270 Win brass or 30-06

IMG_1159.jpg

I have been a 25-06 fan for 20 years and shot 30 plus whitetails with it. I have decided to build a 25-06ai! It is my first ai is there any tips or tricks I need to know for fire forming? Would you go with creme a wheat method or get a hornady hydro former or shot bullet to form case? Going with a Remington 700 trued action, Bartlien barrel, finished at 26". A lot of people hate the 10 twist. Would you go with a 8 or 9 twist? Berger twist calculator says a 9 twist for 110 accubond or 115 Berger would be ok, would a 8 twist hurt much. Are there going to be more bullets like blackjack 131 gr. Be produced? If so a 8 twist would be nice!!!!

I have 2 2506ai's that I load for, both 1in10" lothar walther barrels and they both shoot 115gr Berger's with no problem at about 500m elevation that being said with the availability of some new heavy for 25cal bullets go with the faster twist barrel... if elkaholic says 7.25 that's what I'd go with...

As for fireforming I found using lapua 30-06 brass necked down to 25 in one pass in my standard 25-06 die to leave a bit of a false shoulder (like forming brass for a gibb) shooting a light bullet with a faster powder worked quite well... love the lapua brass, stuff seems to be tougher and more consistent than any other brass I tried in it...

Orch

I'm interested, the 6.5 sizing die will probably work with a smaller bushing. Could a different stem be used in the 6.5 seater?

Flyinstroke what powder are you using? I have a 25-06AI that shoots the 115 Berger great at 3350 FPS. But thinking of a rebarrel. Mine likes H1000. Just wish there were more high BC Bullets out. Or at least a hunting version from Blackjack.

I am using Retumbo to get 3200 FPS

I'm in the process of building a 25-06 AI with a 1-7.5" twist for the heavier bullets. I've got some blackjack 131's and 121 gr hammer hunters waiting for load development. Badlands precision also has a 110 gr bulldozer available. It's not listed on their website but if you call in they can make it for you. Both the 110 bulldozer and the 121 hammer hunter should be very good hunting rounds for those that are hesitant of using a "match" bullet for hunting. Although it seems like people have been having fairly good success with blackjack's on deer and elk.

Just got my 257wby spun up-- 1-7.5 proof as recommended from the guys at Blackjack- have some start points for load development, hoping to get 3400-3450. Ill be taking this rifle to hunt Aoudad in February.

On a side note- if anyone opts out of the 25/06ai and needs the Blackjack reamer for a.257wby let me know-- mine has ONE use, chamber cut by the gentlemen at Alamo Precision Rifles.

If only there was a 25 Sherman option to give a little more than the 26/06AI...

Call the guy up and ask him - he's probably just waiting for someone to give him a little nudge. With new .257" bullets being talked about on forums like this one, he could probably do well with a new cartridge like that. The rest of his line has done well, and this would be a good addition to the family.