257 STW Loads anyone?

bullridety

I am trying to find a good load for a 257 STW and 115gr. Berger Bullet. Any info would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance

I know a fellow that hunts in the area of NC that I go every year that has a 257 STW and he could not get any bullets except the mono like Barns to hold together long enough to get to a 100 yard target. They just slung themselves apart at those high velocities. He settled on the 100 gr Barns TSX with IMR7828 I think. It was doing around 4000 fps and shot FLAT and SMOKED deer across those long bean fields.

I have a couple 257 stw's. One is a regular one and the other is an ackley improved.
Both are built on a remington action and both have sendero contour barrels.
I have never tried the bergers in either one. I kind of got out of the hot rods and have been shooting more long range stuff.

In the 257 AI I have been using the 110 accubond with 84 gr R25.(case capacity is about 4.5 more grains than the regular stw) The R25 works good in this gun but not in the other.

In the regular 257stw I tried R25 and R22, with a 110 Gr nosler e-tip both worked good but they would all of a sudden pressure up for no reason. From what it seems is the powder would bridge causing the pressure problems.

I switched this one to the swift Scirrocco 110 grain and have been using ram shot magnum powder. I ended up at 83.5 grains with the 110 swift .070 off the lands. I cant remember the speed but is was cookin,. I was using the federal 215 primers in both.
I would stick with the ram shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.