257 stw

tnkgnnr

Does anyone have any good loads for the 257 stw....I am having a 25-06 sendero reamed to chamber this new round....the factory .830 barrel with it's standard length will not give me the extreme velocity that this round is cabable of.......but still, somewhere in the 3800+ fps with 100 gr. bullets is posted "typical" for this barrel length....I have read that the all copper barnes tsx 100gr. are the way to go.......however this rifle as a 25-06 with the same barrel, loves the Berger 115gr. moly vld.... and has proven it self several time with large mulie and whitetail bucks....will the J4 jacket on the Berger's be to vernurable at this veloctiy.....any help will be greatly appreciated.....

If you haven't had the chamber cut yet I'd recomend the 25-300 Win mag ,you can use Lapua brass that will allow a bit more pressure and last way longer also the quality is second to none. The 25-300 win will run with the STW speed wise maybe a little more and it'll be a bit shorter also allowing to seat the bullet out far with no feeding trouble.

the 25-300 Win can easly shoot 3800fps with the 26" barrel and 100gr bullets , I'm running close to that with zero pressure and 110gr accubond out of a buddies rifle. The 85gr Ballistic tip at 4000fps makes an awsome mess of varmints if your barrel will keep them together.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.