250 ackley improved long or short throat?

justramit

I am going to rebarrel one of my savages in 250 AI with a barrel from er shaw. I am wanting to shoot the 115 grain berger vld out of this rifle. Would I be better off with a long or short throat? I need to know so I can tell them which I want.

Thanx!!

I'd say a shorter throat. I know you would like to shoot the 115g VLD, but giving it a longer throat would hurt it's accuracy if you want to load a lighter, or diffrent bullet in the future.

Besides, the .250 Savage has one of the shortest necks of any case, you need to be careful when seating the bullets on this case.

A Long throat would seariously limit its ability to shoot a diffrent bullet.

just my 2 cents.

Dan

If your sure that the 115 is the only bullet your gonna shoot then I load a few dummy rounds with the bullet seated so that the boat tail/shank junction is down in the case enough so that the neck is gripping as much of the shank of the bullet as possible , this will have the bullet seat out pretty far and not intrude inthe powder space to much.

Send the dummy rounds top the smith and have him throat it to match the loads.

If you plan to shoot other bullets do this same setup with the lightest bullet you plan to shoot.

Thanks for your replies guys, but I mis understood the salesman from ER Shaw. The contour I had chosen didn't allow for the use of the factory barrel nut to be used, so he wanted to know if my smith preferred a short or long CHAMBERED barrel. They won't do factory throat work....is all SAAMI spec. I didn't realize you couldn't change the barrel yourself with their contours. They do off four factory barrel contours though, so I ordered it in the heavy magnum contour.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.