25 WSSM thoughts......

I am a big fan of the quarter-bore.

Given the 257 Bob, the 257 bee, the 25-06, and even the 250 Ackley, I never saw how the 25 WSSM was in any way clearly superior, given the issues of brass/ammo availability and, in some cases, reports of feeding problems. Honestly, I never saw how it would be the right call at all.

Replace the stock. I put a featherweight stock on mine(300wsm). Still a bit heavy, but points like a dream and doesn't kick.
300WSM.jpg
till a bit heavy but points like a dream.

Can anyone give me some real world experience with a 25 WSSM please? I've read all about the feeding issues, and how the 25-06 has left it in the dust, and all of the other negative press regarding the chambering. A local one has caught my eye, a Winchester model 70 coyote, and it seems cheap enough, given it comes with brass, reloads and dies. I don't know much about it, but since it has a 24" heavy barrel, I'm assuming it is probably set up for more of a light bullet varmint use than a heavier deer gun. Am I correct on my thinking, and could anyone shed some more light/info on this for me please...TIA
T67
You know, I really can't speak on the .25 WSSM, but... I did shoot a post M70 in .243 WSSM competing in LR competition matches for a while and love it, so I'm thinking the .25 WSSM might just be a winner as well. I found the cartridge design to be extremely accurate.

243 WSSM 001.jpg

243 WSSM 004.jpg

My Father in Law uses nothing but a 243 WSSM…yeah it feeds terribly—but I've seen him make enough 1-shot kills—it could be a single shot. I have found bullet seating depth makes a lot of difference in accuracy with the Winchester rifles..stay close to factory specs and it will usually short lights out…

I found a used one and have no regrets.

I wanted to build a 25 WSSM upper for about 5 years, but never found a reliable (repeatable) source of brass. I still may do so. Very interesting cartridge.

A 25wssm 'upper' sounds like a ridiculous challenge to oneself.
Let a rational person ask: WHY
Not ridiculous at all. Dtech has been making wssm uppers for nearly as long as the rounds have existed. Many proprietary parts that you can't get separately, but the rifles run like a sewing machine. I currently have a 243 wssm upper and it's pretty sweet. More horsepower than a 243 AR10 and lighter. Let me ask, WHY NOT

There is a lot of misinformation about the 25 wssm. In my opinion it's actually a better cartridge than the 100 plus year old 25/06. I could write a book about that, and wouldn't bore anyone with it. The feeding issues came from poorly designed magazine followers and push feed M70 actions. The New Haven Connecticut plant was on it's last leg when these cartridges came out and there were some quality control issues in those last year's of operation. The wssm family of cartridges was an attempt to drum up sales and keep Winchester afloat. It didn't work, and it wasn't due to this family cartridges being flawed. It was an internal problem with management and finances. Exactly to what degree, I don't know. The 25 wssm uses 10-15 grains less powder to achieve similar velocities as a 25/06. The only way a 25/06 outperforms the wssm is by utilizing a 26 inch or longer barrel and slow burning powder like Retumbo. Otherwise, the little wssm case actually outperforms the '06. The wssm's were not throat burners. In fact they last longer due to the use of less powder and and chrome lined bores in the 223 and 243 versions. I own 2- 25's and love them. Very accurate and noticeably lighter and shorter than any said rifle chambered in 25/06. They both shoot great and I wouldn't sell them for 3 times their value. My Coyote does have bad jeweling and a problem with the safety mechanism in the bolt, but like anything that can be fixed. Other than that, I think the quality of this gun is higher than most of the plastic rifles you see on shelves today. And I paid $549 for it when it was new!

Can anyone give me some real world experience with a 25 WSSM please? I've read all about the feeding issues, and how the 25-06 has left it in the dust, and all of the other negative press regarding the chambering. A local one has caught my eye, a Winchester model 70 coyote, and it seems cheap enough, given it comes with brass, reloads and dies. I don't know much about it, but since it has a 24" heavy barrel, I'm assuming it is probably set up for more of a light bullet varmint use than a heavier deer gun. Am I correct on my thinking, and could anyone shed some more light/info on this for me please...TIA
T67
Well, I can't speak with any real authority on the .25 WSSM but on .25 Cal with the .25 WSSM performance, I can. .25 Cal bullets in the .25 WSSM envelope are devastating in the field on both big game and varmints, as is the .25x284, 25.06, and the 257 Wby Mag, heck I'd even throw in the .257 Roberts AI and the .25x55mm Swede. As for the cartridge case itself, the only one I've owned was the .243 WSSM set up for 115gr match bullets that I used for 1k matches, it was amazing.