.25 WSSM questions

lead foot

I'm eyeballing my custom 700 .220 Swift as trading stock. Good gun, built it too heavy. I need something else.

I could probably rebarrel it to .257 Ackley, but I'm wondering if the .25 WSSM might not be a better answer. Short fat case, .25-'06 ish ballistics.

Has anyone else thought about the potential for the WSSM launching 110 grain Berger VLDs for long range use?

I have been playing with the idea of a WSSM in a 700 and about the only way I can get it to feed those stubby little things is a HS detachable mag box or a Wyatt's center feed. I have tried model 7 and 700 chambered in 300 RSAUM and the mags won't feed the WSSMs.
I think the 25 would be a great antelope/ deer rig... about critter actually rig. But to go from 220 swift to the WSSm you will have to open the bolt face and install a Badger extractor or a Sako. Single shot would be no problem, but a repeater will be a little tougher like I mentioned.
A 257 Ackley might be an easier alternative.

I'm sorry Chris, I wasn't very clear.

I'm trying to decide between rebarrelling the Swift to .257 AI vs trading the gun for a Winchester 70 coyote in .25 WSSM.

The Swift is good but it's a little too heavy for my use. Previously, I had a fairly light barrelled 6x.284 on that action and wanted a little more weight so when I rebarrelled, I went crazy the other direction. It's got a 26" long, 1.23" diameter straight cylinderical barrel now.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.