25 MOA taper too much?

Delta Hunter

I asked this question in another thread, but felt it might get buried, so I decided to create a new thread to ask it.

I'm interested in the Near Mfg. base and rings for my Sako 75. However, for the particular action I have (V), the only base they make for it has 25 MOA taper. I don't shoot anything at 1000 yards. 600 yards is probably going to be my max and 90% of my shots are 250 yards or under. So, is 25 MOA taper too much for my situation?

What caliber are you shooting and what is the total available MOA for your scope.

I was able to dial my .308 in for 900 yard shots with out any taper at all. If you are shooting any decent load from any decent scope you should hit 600 yards with no fancy base at all.

The cartridge is .300 Win mag. As far as the scope is concerned I don't know how much adjustment range it will have because I haven't bought it yet. The rifle is away right now getting a new barrel and when it gets back I'm going to put a new scope on it.

Anyway, I like the idea of a picatinny rail mounting system, but I think 25 MOA is probably going to be a bit too much taper for me. If it was only 10 MOA I wouldn't hesitate.

Shooting a 300 win mag, I can't imagine that there is any scope that would not give you sufficient elevation to get you to 600yds.

I also wouldn't suggest putting a 20moa taper base on a rifle that is normally shot at 250yds or so. It would cause the very situation that the tapered base was designed to eliminate.

It's possible to have a 20moa base recut to 10moa but it sure doesn't seem worth it to me.

I agree with above posters completely. WIth a 300 WM, you should hit at the minimum of 800 yards with no fancy rings/base. WIth a 200 zero, they shoot plenty flat. I woulnd't doubt it to go to 1000 yards. But out to 600, no problem. I am not a believer in special rings/base. I shoot out to 800 with my 25-06, and 1150 with my 300 RUM, both are at 200 zero's, and I still have plenty of clicks left. I use the standard Leupld rings and 1 piece base. Except for my 300 RUM, which uses the PWR rings/base.

Delta Hunter,NightForce and a host of others supply 10 moa picatinny bases in 10 MOA.The reason I suggest 10 is because I dont really like to crank the turrets towards the end of thier adjustment.

[ QUOTE ]
Delta Hunter,NightForce and a host of others supply 10 moa picatinny bases in 10 MOA.The reason I suggest 10 is because I dont really like to crank the turrets towards the end of thier adjustment.

[/ QUOTE ]

But do they offer it for the Sako 75? I think 10 MOA would be okay even though I would prefer no taper at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.