25-06 vs 6.5 creedmoor which one for antelope?

If you get right down to it..My 6.5 X 284 N has that Creedmoor's daddy
in every area! Faster Flatter and hits harder cheats the wind better.
All in a far Superior cartridge!
Funny - I came to the same conclusion about the 6.5 PRC. Had a 25-06 and 260 - figured I could replace the two of them with a 6.5 PRC and be equally happy - best of both worlds with good velocity and high BC bullets. Its at the expense of a little recoil, but I'll suck it up:)

Last edited:
I have a couple of antelope tags this year and am considering a new rifle.
My toss up is either going to be the 6.5 creedmoor or the 25-06 what are my pros and con to these firearms never shot or owned either?

Pick whichever one does better in the wind. That's going to be the 6.5 Creedmoor.

John

Antelope hunting is tailor made for a 25-06. Inside 550 ish it's a wash between the 2. Over 550yds the creed will be a better choice. Antelope are easy to hunt and you should have no problem getting with 500yards. Take the 25-06.

Hornady ELD Match ammo shoots in both of my Creedmoors as well as my best handloads......shot with it out to 1300 yards at NRA Whittington Center! Excellent Factory Ammo and I know quite a few hunters that swear by it! I've shot 25-06s for over 45 years and never found any factory ammo as good as my handloads!

My wife and son use a CM with factory ammo Hornady 129AW
This is their all around gun from WT-ELK nothing has walked away for this little outfit Wife took elk at 300 yards 1 pass hit the dirt.
As far as factory ammo I took it out to sight it in the other night for them after putting new scope on. First shot was far right adjusted and fired 2 more I cannot reload this well for this gun I've tried. Then I shot clay pigeons out to 500.
20B2BCA0-4C65-436A-9A58-27E5ECB7959C.jpeg

Both are a good choice for pronghorn. Since you don't have much time I would go with what is available in the model of gun you like best. Odds are that will be the 6.5 Creedmoor because it has been a popular cartridge the last few years and often what has been kept in stock on the shelf. Another good option to consider is a 6mm Creedmoor if you can find it in the model of gun you like on short notice. I'll be shooting 115 gr bergers next week out of a 6mm creedmoor at a Wyoming pronghorn. The 115 gr bergers are shooting about 3050 fps in my 26" Creedmoor and around 2930 fps from my 22" AR10 6mm Creedmoor. Hornady 103gr ELD X is a widely available factory ammo that is flat shooting and very effective pronghorn bullet out of a 6mm creedmoor.

Both are a good choice for pronghorn. Since you don't have much time I would go with what is available in the model of gun you like best. Odds are that will be the 6.5 Creedmoor because it has been a popular cartridge the last few years and often what has been kept in stock on the shelf. Another good option to consider is a 6mm Creedmoor if you can find it in the model of gun you like on short notice. I'll be shooting 115 gr bergers next week out of a 6mm creedmoor at a Wyoming pronghorn. The 115 gr bergers are shooting about 3050 fps in my 26" Creedmoor and around 2930 fps from my 22" AR10 6mm Creedmoor. Hornady 103gr ELD X is a widely available factory ammo that is flat shooting and very effective pronghorn bullet out of a 6mm creedmoor.
I'm just getting into 6mm creed. Ventured away from 6.5. I'm hoping to use the 110 smk for targets and the 115 vld for deer/bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.