25-06 VS 270 Win

Who makes a 130gr bullet for a .257 caliber?

I'm trying to talk Berger into producing a 130 VLD for the .257's, but I doubt they will.

Currently I'm using 110gr Accubonds and 115 VLD's for my .257 Wby Mag, and they are working great! I have shot game with with 110 AB's, but have not with the 115's yet...100% success rate so far with the 110 AB's. I will keep yall posted later on in the year after I've had a chance to shoot a deer with the 115gr VLD's, when our deer season comes back around.

No one as far as I know makes a 130 gr slug for a .25.....hence my question asked about 120 gr bullets for it.

I dont want to get into magnum cartridges...and hence all of mine use a std 30-06 bolt face. The 25-06AI is enough of a pain to have to fire form every casing...and with this on again off again rain we have been having I cant get to the range and low off about 30 rounds to have some decent amount of casings to work with!

Matrix makes a 130 and 135gr 25 cal ULD bullet but you have to watch your twist rate with it. The last dozen animals we've taken with 120 Hornadys, antelope to elk from a 250 AI at 3000fps and it's been spectacular. I've killed truck loads of mule deer with a 250 AI out to 500 yards or so and really like that cal for deer and occasional elk. Both the 25-06 and 270 are excellent, kinda a do what you feel since the quarter bore will do what you want fine and the 270 could be ran up to a lot more performance but if you not needing it........

Matrix makes a 130 and 135gr 25 cal ULD bullet but you have to watch your twist rate with it. The last dozen animals we've taken with 120 Hornadys, antelope to elk from a 250 AI at 3000fps and it's been spectacular. I've killed truck loads of mule deer with a 250 AI out to 500 yards or so and really like that cal for deer and occasional elk. Both the 25-06 and 270 are excellent, kinda a do what you feel since the quarter bore will do what you want fine and the 270 could be ran up to a lot more performance but if you not needing it........

MUCHO thanks. VERY informative for what Im intending. I certainly appreciate it

25-06 ( AI actually) w/120 grain slug at 3050 FPS

VS

270 w/130 grain slug at 3050 FPS.

Large mule deer and down sized animals..NOT elk etc....is either one of these cartridges going to really over shadow the other?
If I may please. Not to be oppositional, I would share the 25 06 with a 120 grain bullet, using a 26 inch barrel and even a 24 inch barrel, has been very well used for elk. I am a fan of the .270 as well, and there have been article written with substantive documentation that the 25 06 so used is very comparable to the .270 with a 130 grain bullet. My main qualifiers are these: what range are you shooshootung -- more than 250 -300 yards, .270 is it. Recoil: softer with the 25 06. What do you shoot well -- use it. As with almost everything, shot placement ciupled with selection of ammunition is second. Good luck

If I may please. Not to be oppositional, I would share the 25 06 with a 120 grain bullet, using a 26 inch barrel and even a 24 inch barrel, has been very well used for elk. I am a fan of the .270 as well, and there have been article written with substantive documentation that the 25 06 so used is very comparable to the .270 with a 130 grain bullet. My main qualifiers are these: what range are you shooshootung -- more than 250 -300 yards, .270 is it. Recoil: softer with the 25 06. What do you shoot well -- use it. As with almost everything, shot placement ciupled with selection of ammunition is second. Good luck
Add on: Matrix, Underwood, Hornady, and Remington Cor-lokt with Winchester as my back up, FOR ME, are my only brands. I have had casings and brass fracture with federal and had to replace 2 barrels. Once, ok but twice I'm done.

45039261.jpg

Looking for input. I have a dream of harvesting an elk with a. 303 British Enfield, No1 Mk4 next year. I use 150 grain, and 174 grain ammunition. Love this rifle: insanely accurate, low recoil on my messed up shoulder, and never trailed a deer far. That's not elk! I plan to go to Wyoming next year, using disability tag which enables me to get closer.
Two questions: First, effective huane kill range. Second, how high at 59 yards do I need to shoot it to be dead on at 300-350 yards? I'm limited to a 75 yard range area to sight in rifles.