.25/06 Varmint Load ?

V-MAX

Hi, Greetings from Scotland,

I shoot a lot of crows and foxes at between 100-300 yards with my .22/250, I've just bought a .25/06 Remington 700 and am going to begin to handload the ammo for it.

Does anyone out there use this calibre for long distance pest control, Is it suitable for this task ?

Can anyone recommend a good varmint load to get me started on the right track ?

I would be very grateful for any advice on this subject as my knowledge of this calibre is very limited.

Thanks for any replies in advance,

Cheers,

V-Max,
You might want to check out the following web page.
http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/2506.html

The guy seems fairly knowledgeable and he really likes the 25-06. I don't have any first hand experience with it, but a friend in Kansas shoots deer out to 400 yards and loves it.

Are you under the same inane gun regulations that England is under or is there still some sanity north of the border?

Rick

Thanks R,

I've just checked out that site and it contains some excellent info, now I have somewhere to start from.

As for the gun laws in Scotland, Yes we are very similar to England and Wales with some small variations, eg: calibre selection and minimum bullet weights for certain deer species.

As a professional gamekeeper my firearms are tools for work purposes rather than for sporting or leisure activities.

Even though the regulations are very strict I feel that I own and am allowed to own enough suitable wepons to allow me to carry out my work successfully.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Try IMR 4831, CCI BR-2 primers and 75gr Hornady.... you guessed it VMax bullets. I don't have the specific charge in front of me, but you'll need to work up your own charge and seating depth anyway. They come out at about 3650 fps as I recall.
Good Huntin', Coyoter

I'm currently using the 25-06 M700 with a 30" Krieger barrel. For over 500 yds, I use 115gr Berger VLD(BC=.522) with 57 gr N560. Chronographed to just shy of 3400fps and pressure tested(peak strain) to about 65000psi. Get pretty good groups as well. For the closer in targets faster is better and a 75 gr. VMAX will do. However, these will fragment in mid air at high velocities. In my experience about 3900-4000fps is enough to make these fly apart. Unfortunately, Nosler doesn't make a 75 gr. bullet.

V-Max: In my Ruger 77, MkII I use Hornady's 75 gr. V-Max over 57.6 gr.of IMR 4831. 3/4" group at 100 yds. Really extends the usefulness of the 25-06.
cool.gif

Hello

I have a 25-06 and a 25 Gibbs.

The 25-06 has a 30" barrel and Sako action and likes 52 to 54 Gr of H4350 (depending on how hot the temperature is) with a 100 gr Ballistic tip.
My wive and I got 2 woodchucks one day at 1050 and 1100 yards and a friend of ours with his 25-06 got one at 1100 yards also. Both guns shooting that load (54 grs).

I would suggest starting at around 50 or 51 grs and going up slowly if you plan on using the 100 gr bullet. The Ballistic tip does quite well at extended range in the 25-06.

The Gibbs I can load hotter and it has a 34" barrel so no need giving out that load since you have a factory rifle to work with.

Good Luck to you
Darryl Cassel

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.