25-06 Sendero - Tight Chamber

Buckskinner

My first post to Long Range! But have been here many times...

I just picked up my new Sendero in 25-06 yesterday and started playing around with it. I actually loaded up some rounds for it prior to receiving it with 3 different bullets - Nosler BT 115, Berger Hunting VLD 115 and some Barnes TTSX 100's. Kept them near or a touch over SAAMI lengths and middle of the road charges just to get started.

Got the gun cleaned and threw in a VLD just make sure it fit... and bolt would not close, tried a Nosler with same result, with the Barnes it closed, but very tight. Threw in a new empty case (Nosler) and bolt would close, but pretty tight. After smoking a case I found that the shoulder touches the chamber with zero headspace when bolt is closed. Similar to a neck sized only case after a few firings without bumping the shoulders. After smoking some loaded rounds, I found that all of the bullets loaded to or near SAAMI enter the rifling any where from .020-.050 depending on bullet.

Anyone else ever had this happen with a stock gun? Is this typical with Sendero's? Normally I would want a tight chamber, but this may be a little too tight. I will likely be touching the lands with VLD's anyway and maybe others as I play with the thing... But bullet will be fairly deep in case and worried that the case might be stuck after firing.

My thought is that this thing is going to have to go back to Remington...

Get a box of factory ammo with the longest bullets you can find and see how the factory ammo fits and shoots. If you mention reloaded ammo to Remington it will void your warranty. I have never seen your problem with a Sendero in 25-06 but the ones that I am familiar with are older ones. Remington might have changed the throat length in newer rifles thinking that most will be shooting varmints with a 25-06 and using light short bullets. Just my 2 cents worth.

Why not take the rifle to a gunsmith to see if a go gauge will fit. If it doesn't you have an argument with Remington for a replacement.

Quite frankly this is not a big deal. If it were mine, I would size the brass to fit by camming the die against the shell holder or if necessary grind a bit of metal off the shell holder and get the brass to fit. As to the short throat IMO that is great for those VLDs.

Your choice.

Why not take the rifle to a gunsmith to see if a go gauge will fit. If it doesn't you have an argument with Remington for a replacement.

Quite frankly this is not a big deal. If it were mine, I would size the brass to fit by camming the die against the shell holder or if necessary grind a bit of metal off the shell holder and get the brass to fit. As to the short throat IMO that is great for those VLDs.

Your choice.

He also has a very good excuse to punch it to .25-06 AI 40º and get nearly .257 Wby velocities... :cool:

Fired brass measures .002" UNDER SAAMI minimum in my 25-06 and, I could NOT load to SAAMI 3.250" length either in my 25-06 with anything but varmint bullets.
Now, after a few hundred rounds down, my throat has extended .045" and I can easily pass 3.250" with ALL bullet styles.
This is not a problem I would be sending a rifle back forlightbulb

You can 'cam over' until brass fits easily, or take .010" off the TOP of a shellholder, this gives more precise adjustment, and size until a case chambers easily.
I have RCBS Precision Mic's for all of my rifle cartridges, it makes measuring fired cases and FL sized cases a dream and tells you how much you are actually moving the brass.

I would be happy with a tight chamber personally.

Cheers.
gun)

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Magnum, that was my initial thought process, just wanted to hear someone who had similar experience. I would hate to send it back and they ream it out to typical headspace and throat dimensions... Looking forward to getting this thing out and seeing what she does!

I bought some factory Hornady Interlocks 117's (cheapest I could find) today just for the hell of it. They fit the same as my loads, they are .100" shorter than SAAMI so are not touching the lands but take same effort to close the bolt. I'm going to let it ride and see how she does. Also lapped the rings and put the scope on today, so ready to rock. Hopefully Wednesday will be debut...

Thanks for the help.

Hornady seats them to the cannalure. The old Custom 117 loads shoot right at .5MOA from my M77VT...haven't tried the newer Whitetail loads. I get .25 sizing the brass to the rifle as mentioned with case mics. I have a couple of RCBS mics 1 in .25-06 and sent one of them back in, .270WSM, for them to get it right...ended up doing it myself with a go gauge when it got back. I guess .003 is better than .007 off. I prefer Mo's Gauges (Mastercraft Sports) over the RCBS from my esperiance.

I think I'm going to let it go, I've been shooting it the last couple days and it's coming around pretty good. I measured the full chamber today and it measures .015 longer than SAAM recommended trim to length, so I think I'm good to go. Just tight at shoulders and short throat, which should give me a little more life in barrel. I've played around with a few bullets (Nosler 115 BT and Berger 115 VLD) had less than desirable accuracy using Retumbo, especially with the Berger's. Heard guys were having great luck with IMR 4350, so loaded up 5 of each with that. Pic below shows results. Point of impact between the bullets is crazy, I knew this from yesterday so shot at left bull for both sets of bullets. Nosler on left (.810') Berger on right (1.105). Not too bad for less than 50 rounds down the pipe.

Attachments

• target.jpg
    target.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 139
since I had good results with the factory round, I tried to duplicate it the best I could. I tried RL-22, H4831SC, and 4831 with their Interlock 117. I had the best results with IMR4831 and seated to the cannalure as they do. 50.5gr 210M and 2950FPS. The factory round info said 2995 and the Ohler said they were running 2995.

The Interlocks shot surprisingly well out of mine also, might look at those for a whitetail load in the fall if I still can't find any 110 Accubond's. Cheap too!

Last edited:
The Interlocks shot surprisingly well out of mine also, might look at those for a whitetail load in the fall if I still can't find any 110 Accubond's. Cheap too!

Glad it is working out, I have achieved great accuracy combined with top velocity with RL25, from what I hear RL26 may be slightly better.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.