25-06 BT

tlshootst

I orderd a box of Nosler 115 grain ballistic silvertips from a local dealer and what showed up was Nosler/Winchester Combined technology Ballistic silvertips. Are these something different than regular BT? The bullets are all black with a gray tip.

You got the right bullets. They work really well, my friend uses them out of his 25-06 for long range varmint hunting out to 1000 yards. They have a great BC of .430 and they blow the varmints up!!!

They are the same bullet but have had their surface treated with an oxidation process to turn them black. It is also said to harden the bullets surface to reduce friction with the bore.

I have yet to see much difference compared to standard ballistic tips as far a fouling, velocity potential or accuracy.

I like them. Have used alot of them on game in the past. Many factory 25-06 rifles do not care for the long tipped bullets. Will be interesting to hear how yours shoots them. Some shoot them very well, others not so well at all.

Kirby Allen(50)

Like others have said, you got what you ordered. Nosler makes the plain old 115g NBT and Nosler/Winchester make the 115g Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip.

There essentially the same bullet, but one has the lubalox coating, which is suppose to decrease friction and increase velocity. I've shot both out of my 25-06's and cant really tell much diffrence between the two. There both accurate and they both performed deadly on mule deer and coyotes.

I would just use the regular Nosler NBT when your done with these. There cheaper and are the same bullet w/out the coating. The coating doens't do much for you anyways. Sales gimmick in my opinion.

Like Fifty said, some 25-06's wont shoot the 115g NBT's. I haven't seen this in my 2 25-06's over the years, but very well could happen. Mine usually shoot in the .6's and .7s at 100 yards. Can usually bust milk jugs at 500 yards no problems as well.

While they are the same bullet... there is a slight difference. Because of the Lubalox coating the diam. on the BSTs is slightly larger, by about .0002-3". I know this isn't a lot, but it did make a difference in both accuracy and velocity out of my .25-06 AI. I really noticed it when seating bullets, it increased my neck tension, and I think that made a difference. With the C-T BST I got an extra 50-60fps vs. the Nosler BT and my groups went from 1.25" avg to about .850" avg at 200 yds . I've shot several 5 shot groups in the .3s at 100 yds. with the BST and never shot one under .6" with the standard BT.
Also, I noticed that all the BSTs I have measured are .015-25" longer than the standard BT, they engage the lands at 3.283" and the BT is in the lands at 3.268"... maybe it's just a fluke but I have measured a couple hundred of them.
I do know the 115s (in either format) hit WAY harder than the 100 grain BTs and absolutely hammer coyotes. ~JT

I see the Nosler 115 BT ballistic coefficient is .389
The Combined Technology 115 is .453
I haven't shot either bullet but I would guess under 500 yards I wouldn't see any difference in performance in the wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.