25-06

firstcoueswas80

i am in the process of getting a 25-06. i have always wanted one of these and now i am getting one! what bullet do you all suggest in shooting? it will be mostly a varmint, prarie dog, coyote what ever else gun along with a paper puncher. i was thinking the 110 gr accubond sounded hard to beat, i really like the accubond and its performance but i am worried about cost and performance on small critters. this gun will also be a possible deer gun. what powder,bullets, and velocities should i expect to reach?
thanks!
Casey

If your going to shoot at varmits you don't really need to use a bonded bullet espically at 25-06 velocities. I would shoot a Hornady SST, or Nosler ballistic tip.

Firstcoues,
I have never been the type to be satisfied with one bullet for any of my rifles. With that said, for varmints I use the Sierra 75gr HP @ approx. 3500 fps. This bullet shoots one ragged hole in my Sendero. I can push it faster but what's the use? For larger stuff I use the 100gr Barnes Triple Shock. These, along with the 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, shoot 1/4" groups. I usually push these around 31-3200fps.
For powder I use IMR 4064 for the 75gr'rs and RL22 for the 100gr pills. Usually CCI BR2's, Rem 9.5 or even 9.5M's get the nod for primers.
What would be nice is if Swift would come out with a 100gr Scirroco in both .257 and .264. Those would rock the whitetail species. Later, Johnny K.

A good allround bullet is the Nosler 100 gr BT. If you are going to shoot long range, the 115 gr BT offers a higher BC.
The 110 gr AB would be a great choice for big game hunting.

Regards,

JD338

I have shot a 25-06 for many years. I have shot woodchucks to cows with this caliber which also includes whitetail deer. I found the 100 grain Speer Spitzer traveling around 3300 fps does the job quite well.

i use 75 hornady vmax for chucks over imr 4064.120 gr nosler partitions over imr 4350 for deer.have been playing with 117 hornady spbt with re 22 at 350 yards(2875 fps).shoots at moa.just my .02.jason

I started mine off using the 100gr BT when I first got it. I had them trucking along at 3350. They were great on just about everything except deer under 100yds. THey exploded like grenades up close. However, I loaded up the 100gr Partitions and away I went. This worked decent for me till I finially got my hands on some 115gr Partitions, once there, I only looked back once. At that time I went back to the 100gr bullets due to hunting a few long reaching yotes. However, it was just a pain to me to switch back and fourth.

So I worked up a load using the 115gr in the Ballistic tip, the Partition as well as the Barnes. Now they do have just a bit different POI, however shot together, they all are at or under 2" generally at 200yds so there isn't much to swapping them out between each other. AS a side note though, I generally just stick to the Partitions. They have taken the vast majority of game taken with that rifle. They just work.

The load is 56.5grs of RL-22 Seated to 3.250" lit by a Win WLR primer in Win cases. trimmed to 2.484. This is a max load but is listed in the old 4th edition Hornady manual for a 117gr bullet. Start low and work up. I hit 3159 from my rig with it, and recoil is very mild.

100gr. Nosler BT - V,P,&D
100gr. Nosler Partition - P&D (more bullet than needed for sage rats)
100gr. Sierra Game King - V,P,&D
100gr. Sierra Match King - Target,V,&P (deer?)
87gr. Speer TNT - V&P
85gr. Nosler BT - V&P
75bgr. Sierra Varminter HP - V&P

Powders 4350, 4831, RL19, & 4064.

May want to look at berger 115 vld, pretty high bc and good explosive performance for critters such as deer, yotes, and dogs. You could achieve close to 3200fps in a long barrel.

thank you guys a ton for all the responses! i am looking at shooting either BT's or the Vmax. this rifle may or may not see deer hunts depending on how it shoots accubonds. i already have a 270wsm and 7mag to carry for deer and a 30-06 for elk!

i mostly got this gun to shoot varmints... coyotes and prarie dogs.. for this application i am looking at loading the following : 75 grain hornady vmax, 117 gr.SST, 85 or 100 grain nosler ballistic tip or 87 grain sierra varminter.. what do you all think?

i am leaning towards the 75 gr. vmax, or 85 ballistic tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.