25-.06 AI reload data

Bigdog2815

I'm new at reloading for my 25-.06 AI and I would like to do some long range shooting. I'm starting out with a Hornady 117gr. SST bullet. Does anyone have a good load for this combo for 500 - 1,000 yds.?

I'm new at reloading for my 25-.06 AI and I would like to do some long range shooting. I'm starting out with a Hornady 117gr. SST bullet. Does anyone have a good load for this combo for 500 - 1,000 yds.?

G'day,
Often, what works in one rifle, rarely works in another. Therefore, my advice is to study several load data sources and pick the top 3 powders that consistently give the top 5% for highest velocity, these are the powders that perform the best in that cartridge.
I have a standard 25-06, the best performing powder for it is RL 25 with 100gr-120gr bullets.
Being an AI, however, the general rule of thumb is to use max loads for the 25-06 as your start load, in the case of RL 25 for 117gr this is 58gr, you may get to around 62gr, give or take, before you get excessive pressure signs.
Other powders worth trying are, IMR 4831, IMR 7828, H1000, RETUMBO, RL 22 and H 4831sc. Not all of them will work for accuracy, so you'll have to work up as you would for any cartridge.

You can take this advice, or not.
I do NOT fireform my AI brass with bullets, don't see the point of having an improved case and not utilising it's performance. I use a 1/3 case capacity load of CLAYS with a twist of 1 half sheet of toilet paper twisted and poked into the case mouth over the powder, it needs to be firm, but not overly tight. You will need to adjust the charge weight until a fully formed case results. Fire and retrieve formed case.
Sometimes, the cases do not fully blow out down near the web, you can re-do the fireform, or just load with a regular powder charge and bullet and fire it as normal, velocity will be down a little, but not like a regular fireforming load would be.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
gun)

Hey there,

I have two 25-06ai's both 27" lothar-walther barrels cut with the same reamer....

Shoot the same load in both and it shoots lights out in both....

59.5gr reloader25
Berger 115gr vld
OAL 3.300" (new gun this puts me at the lands, my old gun after about 1000 rounds leaves me somewhere around 0.015" off the lands)
Federal large rifle match primers
30-06 lapua brass necked down and neck turned (when I got this gun I couldn't find any factory loads to fire form with or factory 25-06 brass so I went with lapua, it's very tough stuff and love it so I stuck with it)
3231 fps in my old gun
3351fps in my new gun

Both are very accurate out to 1000 yards and the Berger has performed excellent on deer sized game out to 650 yards.... I even took a buck at 995 yards with it, first round hit and that killed him quickly but I wouldn't try it again. The bullet didn't open up and just tumbled through him and I was very lucky to hit his spleen, liver, nicked his venacava and hind lobe of his lung before exiting through a rib.... He bled out and tipped over within 30 seconds...however Had I hit just an inch or two lower I would have missed the venacava and probably would have had to track a wounded deer....

Have also used retumbo when I ran out of RL25... Used the same charge weight of 59.5gr, shot as accurate as the RL25 load but was 100 fps slower in both guns, could have played around loading it up but in the interest of saving barrel life opted to just use more clicks in the scope as it shot accurately.

As always start low on your powder charge and work up....
Good luck!

Orch

60 gr of H1000 works good in mine with the 115 Berger. This gets me to 3350 fps. I got crazy fast velocity with 7828; but it was to temp unstable for me to use. Trued Remington 700 with a 26" Krieger.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.