.243win / 90gr. Scenar/varget

Gerald89

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with .243win / 90gr. Scenar/40gr varget and a rem 9 1/2 primer.

This load is shooting well for me @ 3196fps but some primers are cratered and some are perfect condition about a two thirds OK to one third dodgy ratio, some giving a bit of bolt lift resistance.

I have checked my powder charge weight and am happy with its consistency.

Trimmed to length.

Cases have been fired three times.

Any ideas what could be happening?

I would say you have pushed that load to the limits and beyond some. I am loading 44.1 gr of H4350 with the 88 gr Bergers and getting 3318 fps with excellent accuracy. The same load with the 90 gr Bergers was not as accurate, and I had to drop back to 42.5 gr and 3031 fps for them to shoot almost as well. I never could get the Lapuas to shoot under 1.5 MOA. I was told that they are smaller in diameter than the Bergers, and that I may not be sealing off the bullet as well under pressure. I am sticking with the 88 gr Bergers, and I hope to test them on some pigs I just got pictures of at one of my stands week after next.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.