.243 Steyer

madmanx

I am new to this site,i live in the uk and currently have a Anschutz .17hmr,Anschutz.22lr and a Tikka 22/250.At what yardage do you class a shot to be long range?.The picture below (Hopefully)shows a fox shot in Scotland with a Steyer Manllicer .243 at about 180 yards
P1010009.jpg

First off welcome to LRH!
Long range is classified different by everyone on this site.
A few examples.
#1 I classify long distance for me to be at 500 to 1000 yards but thats my personal classification.
#2 goodgrouper, brian b and 7mmrhb classify it at longer distances like 1200 to 2000 yards just a guess since they shoot alot at further distances than myself.
#3 others here will have a 400 yard limit for shots and some will be 600 and yet others 1000 yards to be considered long range. It boils down to your personal feelings as to how long long range is. If your not comfortable shooting a critter past 350 yards then that certainly is long range in your book. 180 yards on a fox is a long shot for some folks I know around here and for others I know it's a chip shot.
You are the determinig factor on how long a shot has to be before it's considered long range. What I'm saying is not everyone has the same definition of long range.
I hope this helps you more than it confuses you!
Looks like you made a good shot on that fox. What kind of bullet were you using??
I used to own a steyr in 25/06 and still kick myself in the arse for parting with it. I'm trying to buy it back from him and I think I may be wearing him down.

Welcome Madmanx. That's a way nice Steyr! I am a huge Steyr Fan and own many. Be careful not to scratch that nice wood.

Hi Madmanx,
Great to have another UK shooter on board, welcome.
Our friend and fellow member Brit comes from Brighouse and is currently in Scotland chasing some Roebucks maybe you know him.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Nice rifle I have 2 anchutz 22 lr a Weirauch hw 66 in 22 hornet and a old walther kk. How do you like the Anchutz in 17 hmr I have heard they are good shooters but we have not seen any down here. They a very pricey so the gun shops don't just bring them in for us guys to drool on.. Nice to have another fellow from the U.K on the forum Cheers.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Madmanx
I am also from the UK (Devon) and have two Steyrs .243 & .308 that I shoot out to 500 yards which is about maximum distance due to the terrain. Small change compared with the guys on this forum but great fun.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifThanks for the welcomes,nice to see people from all over on the forum.Going back up Scotland on monday for a couple of days Stalking ,i have my new 22/250 Tikka to set up,can't wait?I am fitting a Schmitt and Bender 8x56 scope and T8 silencer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HI,

I am also in the UK.

I regularly varmit out to 650 yrds in North Yorkshire.

I am looking into getting a Styer SSG 08 .243 to stretch out to 1000 yrds.

I guess a long range shot for a rifle in Uk conditioons would be 400 yrds plus.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.