.243 Ackley Improved vs .243 Winchester

M Rosslee

Hi guys

I'm running my 243 Winchester at a steady pace toward a new barrel...

Anybody care to share their conversion experience and tips on barrel length and twist for a 243 Ackley?

I'm going to keep the platform "as is" and I want to fit the right barrel.

Look forward to the comments.

Hi guys

I'm running my 243 Winchester at a steady pace toward a new barrel...

Anybody care to share their conversion experience and tips on barrel length and twist for a 243 Ackley?

I'm going to keep the platform "as is" and I want to fit the right barrel.

Look forward to the comments.

When going to an Ackley Improved there are several reasons that make it worthwhile.

You will get slight increase in velocity because of the volume increase (Very small unless you move the shoulder forward and shorten the neck).

However you may get an increase because of the efficiency of the 40o shoulder.

The main advantage if you use the 243 head space gauge to set the head space is that you can use the brass you already have and the feed rails and mag length will remain the same. brass life is greatly improved because AI cases don't need frequent trimming.

I would go with a 1 in 9 twist with a 24" to 26" barrel and at least a # 4 or larger contour.

J E CUSTOM

I wouldn't do anything over an 8 twist to optimize performance with the heavy for caliber bullets. Given the extra boiler room of the AI case, a 105 Berger Hybrid at 3100+ is a thing of beauty. Puts a smile on my face just thinking about it.

I'd need to check my notes but I believe I'm around 3250 fps with 105gr bullets in the 243AI out of a 24" barrel. It's only my opinion but I view that as a significant increase over what I could get from my standard 243. Case life is excellent. I ordered a 26" but it was placed over the phone and somehow I ended up with a 24", which I went ahead and used rather than dealing with trying to return it. In the end I'm happy with the 24" and when it burns out will likely go 24" again. I don't have a 26" to compare but the gun is well balanced and I don't seem to really be giving up anything significant with the 2" difference, comparing to the velocity of others. Mine is 1:8", you only need 1:7.5" if you want to shoot the 115s. Personally I decided 105 was the sweet spot in this caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.