6MM ACKLEY OR 243 ACKLEY

UncleB, you are quick. Thanks, I might try these. I think with the 30" barrel I should be able to get 3800 fps to 3900 fps with the 80grn and 87grn bullets, and I should be able to get around 4000fps to 4100fps with the 70grn and 75grn bullets. This is going to be an explosive combination, and with the weight of the rifle being around 20lbs with a muzzle brake it should be a very steady platform to watch them explode.

Wildcat

Wildcat,

I went the other route and pick the 243Ackley shooting the 115gr DTAC's at just over 3100fps. My gun is 16 pounds with a break and I can watch the pullet poke holes in the target. Your setup at 20 pounds should be extremely stable and at that weight with that break will feel like a "pea shooter" like mine does. Sounds like a great setup with that velocity.

While the sierras are not nearly as devastating as the v-max, a-max, or ballistic tips, I have has awesome luck shooting chucks between 600 and 1000 yards.

Show us some pictures when the project is done.

Rem

Remy 1, I will try to get some picks on here as soon as she is finished. It will be some time before she is completed. My Nesika Action, McMillan A-5 Stock, and Krieger Barrel will not arrive until end of June. Furthermore, after I receive the parts, it's going to take at least 4 to 6 months for the smith to work on it. I am thinking sometime in November or December 2006. If my local smith does the work, he can complete it in 2 months. He is not as busy as my regular smith and only works on a few projects a year. He built my current 220 Swift, here are some specs on that rifle;
1. Remington Action Sleeved (Speedy Gonzalez) and trued
2. Lilja, 27" 1-14 twist, .925 at the Muzzle with Holland QD Brake
3. McMillan A-4 Tacticle, Adj LOP and Cheeck peice
4. Jewell 2oz Trigger
5. Kelby rings
6. Topped with a Nightforce 5.5x22x56 NXS
7. Weighs in at aroun 15lbs
8. My current load in this rifle 43grn H414, 40grn Nosler BT, Federal 210M primers, Norma Brass with a velocity of 4200 fps. This load is devistating on the squirrels. This is why I want the 6-284, I can't wait to see what that 87grn V-Max, traveling 3800 fps, is going to due to that little varmint
My local smith, here in my home town, did a beautiful job on this rifle. My best three shot group with this rifle is .178 at 100 yards, and I am averaging .200. My regular Gunsmith is David Tooley, out of North Carolina. He built my 6.5x284, and he is currently building my 338 Yogi (338 Lupa Magnum Improved). Dave's work is beautiful and my first rifle he built, 6.5x284, is averaging .090 to .100, three shot group at 100 yards. I am leaning heavly towards Dave to build my new 6-284, however, I will have to see what he has on his plate after he completes my 338 Yogi. If you ever have a custom rifle built, I would recommend Dave Tooley. He does beautiful work, he knows his stuff and he is a great guy to talk too. He is always in the Top 10 in the National Long Range Shooting competitions, so I would diffently say Dave knows what he is talking about. Sorry to keep talking about Dave, he has just always been a great person to work with, so I like to talk about him and let other people know about him and his work.

Now back to the origianl conversation, what is the BC for the 115gr DTAC's and please give me the specs on your 243 Ackley and how that baby shoots. Don't you just love to watch your bullet hit the target. There is just something about watching a squirrel, pdog, or rabbit blowing up and lunching 6 feet into the air in a million different parts. I hope the Libs don't read that last sentence, they might send the PETA police after me.

Wildcat

Wildcat,
Here are the specs of the rifle..

243 Ackley (.272nk)
Remington 700 short action trued
28 inch hart tapered to .940 at the muzzle.
Hart muzzle break
Jewel 2oz trigger.
Shehane MBR "Sierra" Laminate Tracker (clear coated)
Kelby rings (polished)
Leupold Mark 4 M1 8.5-25x 50

In the last two years, with the help of a friend of mine, I have been learning to smith my own rifles. This was the third one I built. It's just awesome to get behind one you put together yourself.

I began by chambering a donor 700 laminated 243 that I bought, with the same reamer, and fire-forming 300 Lapua cases with 100gr sierra's behind 39.0gr of H4831sc. These cases were all turned to .013 due to the .272nk. Here is what I came up with…

Rl-22 – Worked up from 39.0gr to 46.0gr with the 115MK, 210M primers and Lapua brass. At 46.0 grains I started seeing small pressure signs. Velocities at 46.0gr were 3034fps.

I decided to spend the first day and just concentrate on Rl-22. I loaded 9 separate three shot groups and started at 42.0gr. At 42.0gr the gun shot about an inch, at 42.5 it came in to about a half an inch and stayed there at 43.0gr. The velocities were 2817 and 2836 for 42.0 and 42.5gr respectively. Then at 43.5 (2901fps) everything came together when I shot a group measuring .176 that yielded a velocity deviation of only 6 fps. Needless to say I was happy. 44.0gr began to go vertical, while still good, and 44.5, 45, and 45.5 stayed just under half an inch. My last load 46.0gr again printed a great group measuring in the low .2's and again showed only 5 fps deviation at 3034fps. Extremely happy with those two groups and the low velocity spread I decided to stop load development there hoping to conserve some of the short barrel life of the 243 Ackley.

Regarding the 115DTAC's I simply can't say enough about the bullet. I have been using Tubbs estimated BC of .585 minus roughly 2% since I trim meplats and it seems to be fairly accurate. Since I built this rifle I have almost entirely hung up the 6.5-284, 300wby with 240MK's, and virtually all my other long range rifles. We have shot this out to 1200 yds with great results and I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot even further. You can literally follow the vapor trails all the way to the target due to the low recoil and when shooting them at 3000fps+, they rival or surpass the ballistics of most of these other calibers. Unlike the v-max, a-max, or ballistic tips the 115 does not have the same dramatic effect.

Rem 1

(P.S. These loads worked in MY rifle. Use caution and work up to the above loads. Also verify all loads using a reliable loading manual.)

Remy, your rifle sounds awesome. I love Hart Barrels, I have one on my 6.5x284. I wish I new how to build my own rifles, that would be so cool. Your load for your 243 Ackley sounds like it's deadly accurate. There something about 2900 fps to 3000 fps with these match grade bullets. My 6.5x284 did the same thing when I was testing my loads, once I hit 2900 fps thats when everything came togather and I shot my .083 three shot group at 100 yards with my 6.5x284. I too was getting higher velocities, however, the accuracy was not as good. I was able to get 3150fps with a 139grn Lupa Scenar, but my accuracy began to worsen. Keep in touch Remy, and let me know when you decide to build your next rifle.

Wildcat

Hey guys, as some of you may have read on other posts, I did receive my 6x284. After reading this post again, I am very happy that I went with the 1-12 twist barrel. Some tried to talk me into going with a 1-10 or 1-9 twist barrel, I almost took their advice. However, I stuck with my decision and went with 1-12 twist. My goal with this project, is to shoot the lighter bullets like the 75grn and 87grn V-max and that's why I was so focused on the 1-12 twist barrel. Well, I am so glad I did. On the first day of testing, I got excellent groups, using the 87grn V-max, and attained the velocities I hoped to get with this bullet. I was able to push the 87grn V-Max to 3750, and this was not even the hottest load I tested. I had other loads to test, however, my rifle loved this velocity and 87grn V-max combo. I shot two, three shot groups at 100 yards, in the high .1's, and one, three shot group in the low .2's. I am very excited and thrilled about the performance I had with the 87grn V-max. If your going to build a 6mm, and you only want to shoot the lighter poly tipped bullets, I would highly recommend the Krieger, 1-12 twist barrel.

Wildcat

Hey guys, here is the pic of my new 6x284.

DSC00796.jpg

Wildcat

I don't know how your gonna take this ? I shoot a 6x284 I can get 3700 FPS using RE#17 54grs via a 26" Hart bbl.. BUT its a HOT load and I have found in my rifle 87gr V-Maxs don't like being pushed above 3,550. What works great are 90gr Nosler BT. Hope this revelation didn't ruin your day.

What is the purpose for two bubble levels on your scope? I am looking to build a .243 right now. The more I read about it I am leaning towards the .243 AI for increased brass life. The twist for the barrel is what is in question right now. If I use a 1:9 does that mean I can shoot the heavy bullets as well as the lighter bullets?

Ya I noticed that...... Had to get in that discussion I'm still having fun with my 6x284. . I have a HART bbl and you know they utilize the button method of rifling. I've been told cut rifling last longer.Gunsmith says I have sever throat erosion. Yet I can still shoot 1/4 MOA groups and I'm in the 1,000 round mark of my bbl life. Any how next bbl I'm heavily leaning towards a Cut rifled bbl even though this HART is performing nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.